evening all

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

evening all

Postby Val » July 17th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Hi follow humans , how's tricks it's good to see you've survived without me.
Anyways how are you all
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Re: evening all

Postby Sprocket » July 18th, 2014, 2:06 am

Welcome back! Where've you been?
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » July 18th, 2014, 7:12 am

Enduring the hot summer here, Val, though a glass - or two - of Jameson's on the rocks with a splash of soda helps things along... :grin:
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Val » July 18th, 2014, 2:18 pm

All going fairly ok here, weather was only perfek for ages thanks to Helius that is until last evening and then the Zeus got angry again (probably because I'm using new cycle shorts) or maybe I insulted Dionysus or Bacchus anyways we are fecked again with rain, wind, lightening and rain and wind, tis no weather for cycling and that’s for sure no matter what shorts one wears. :oops:

So how everything on St Thads, is everyone still above ground and have any new members joined since I was last here, for myself I’ve been busy with work and doing stuff and sadly I lost 2 good friends to Hades recently and have had a little health scare myself, but all is ok I can still down a glass or two and enjoy life
But feels good to be back ….I must start a thread on Israel soon as I feel a rising ire again :evil:
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby GregB » July 18th, 2014, 4:30 pm

I have to confess that the thought of you in cycle shorts, Val, especially lycra, is the stuff of which boggled minds are made. :shock:

As for new members, there's a nice lady just joined name of LilySue (see the adjacent thread on Welcome) and meanwhile a few regulars have dropped out for now, but only temporarily we hope.

Whatever your ire (best fixed on Ireland :mrgreen: ) I'd seriously advise no new threads on Israel and Hamas as the subject is the hottest of hot potatoes and only ever arouses bad feelings whenever it's been aired here - which is why we have a kind of tacit agreement not to do so. We all know where we stand on that issue and it's best not to poison friendly relations with something no one's going to give way on. Fair enough?
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » July 20th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Hi Val. Good to see you! That string vest of yours been getting an airing then?
Don't be a stranger. :wave:
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Pondero » July 21st, 2014, 11:54 am

First of all Greetings Val.
Remember this diagram

Well, I am leaving this board for a week or two Val, as I need a break.
The parallel circuit tuned at resonance for a AM Frequency of 680 kHz ( which I receive on the model) intrigued me. The variable capacitator is 0-160 pico Farads. I don't know the Henries in the coil, so I assumed that it was 10 mH (milli-henries) . I calculated by trial and error using the formula 1/ 2pi x sq root of (LC) = frequency of 680 kHz that the tuning on the variable capacitator would have to be 5.478 pico farads.
That took me a couple of hours to determine!

Anyhow glad to see you back Val.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby different glory » July 22nd, 2014, 12:47 am

Hi Val! :) Have a look around -- I think we're all much as usual, and we'd welcome you throwing yourself into the chat with your usual verve. :)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Lyn » July 22nd, 2014, 3:41 pm

We miss you Val so don't make this thread your swansong!
Lyn

Postby Pondero » July 23rd, 2014, 11:13 am

Val do you know of any circuit for a superhetorodyne am radio that one can buy as a kit? I am not happy with the TRF radio I have been discussing as it has poor selectivity. The problem is that you need more circuitry in superhets than in tuned radio frequency radios. You need for starters a beat frequency oscillator, a mixer and a IF amplifier, not to mention an extra RF amplifier.

Why is it that circuitry which was invented back in 1918 has not found its way in kit form for interested people?

I will keep looking and await a superhetorodyne am radio kit in my local electronic shop, near the Queensway in Etobicoke. The trouble is the owner wants to sell video cameras for security purposes and has only a few 'learner' kits for teachers and students, nothing much that I am interested in.
No.matter what. I have never found any science as fascinating as radio.

I really should take a break from this website.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Next

Return to Welcome