Back again

Come in and say hello
Forum rules
Come in and say hello

Re: Back again

Postby Sprocket » October 5th, 2016, 10:06 am

Welcome back. If I might politely make the suggestion, maybe this time round, you could avoid inflammatory language, and referring to God as "it". By all means criticise Christianity or any other religion, but in a calmer way.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby sarniajoy » October 5th, 2016, 10:39 am

Sprocket wrote:Welcome back. If I might politely make the suggestion, maybe this time round, you could avoid inflammatory language, and referring to God as "it". By all means criticise Christianity or any other religion, but in a calmer way.

But we have no idea of the gender of god therefore referring to god as it is fine, imo. It is likely to be genderless if it exists. No doubt the Biblical authors referred to it as he because males were thought to rule the roost then!
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » October 5th, 2016, 11:57 am

I think many Christians are aware of that, realising that the uncreated Deity could not have gender, but they take the model of Father and Son as the paradigm of the relationship between those two divine figures that we can relate to, albeit as a kind of human analogy which clearly doesn't really apply to God the Creator and the eternal genderless Logos (or O.T. 'Wisdom') figure who was incarnated in male form, of necessity, as Jesus Christ, but helps us to understand God the 'Father's' relationship with us, his 'sons and daughters'.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » October 5th, 2016, 12:19 pm

GregB wrote:I think many Christians are aware of that, realising that the uncreated Deity could not have gender, but they take the model of Father and Son as the paradigm of the relationship between those two divine figures that we can relate to, albeit as a kind of human analogy which clearly doesn't really apply to God the Creator and the eternal genderless Logos (or O.T. 'Wisdom') figure who was incarnated in male form, of necessity, as Jesus Christ, but helps us to understand God the 'Father's' relationship with us, his 'sons and daughters'.

You have your view, I have mine. As there is no verifiable evidence the Biblical version of god is anymore than a human creation unbelief is the default position until god does the decent thing and makes its presence undeniable.
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » October 5th, 2016, 1:17 pm

As there is no verifiable evidence the Biblical version of god is anymore than a human creation unbelief is the default position until god does the decent thing and makes its presence undeniable.

Faith ultimately has nothing to do with 'verifiable evidence' but, in part, a conviction that our intellect is basically limited and there are matters which cannot be grasped by that alone. It's largely about trust in that which is beyond our own feeble reasoning and desire for direct evidence. And to assume that God is going to somehow appear to you directly to prove (...) existence is clearly a fallacy. Even if God did, given your hardline rejectionist mindset, you would undoubtedly assume it was a hallucination.
You have your view, I have mine.

And, it seems, never the twain shall meet. So be it.
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby sarniajoy » October 5th, 2016, 1:23 pm

GregB wrote:
As there is no verifiable evidence the Biblical version of god is anymore than a human creation unbelief is the default position until god does the decent thing and makes its presence undeniable.

Faith ultimately has nothing to do with 'verifiable evidence' but, in part, a conviction that our intellect is basically limited and there are matters which cannot be grasped by that alone. It's largely about trust in that which is beyond our own feeble reasoning and desire for direct evidence. And to assume that God is going to somehow appear to you directly to prove (...) existence is clearly a fallacy. Even if God did, given your hardline rejectionist mindset, you would undoubtedly assume it was a hallucination.
You have your view, I have mine.

And, it seems, never the twain shall meet. So be it.

I gave the faith a go as a child, but I was relieved when the overwhelming doubts made me lose it. You and I are never going to see eye to eye on this topic so we will have to agree to differ.
sarniajoy

Postby GregB » October 5th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Fair enough. I have no problem with that.
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby greenjack » February 13th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Hello folks.
Just passing thought I'd say "hello" after more then 3 years I think. How time flies.
Good to see some familiar names still.
Now for a little browsing round these threads.

Cheers all
GJ :good:
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby Lyn » February 13th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Welcome back! Why so few visits? We could do with a few more posters.
Lyn

Postby GregB » February 13th, 2018, 8:58 pm

- Woody Allen
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome