Daily Chat

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Daily Chat

Postby greenjack » February 14th, 2018, 11:22 am

Sprocket wrote:London doesn't really have any grand Boulevards like that, except possibly Regent Street, that I can think of: Oxford Street is too tatty to count. Possibly that's because it got seven shades of shit bombed out of it by the Luftwaffe, so much of it is post-war reconstruction.
[Edit] - Yes, I think Regent Street would count: it's rather grand, although it lacks the trees of Continental ones. https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/20 ... gent_1.jpg

Apparently Christopher Wren had plans to rebuild London after the Great Fire of 1666 with wide boulevards. However didn't seem to get around to achieving it.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... -fire-1666
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby greenjack » February 14th, 2018, 11:47 am

Whitehall is also pretty wide. I would have said Constitution Hill too but it's flanked by parkland anyway, so does it count?
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby Sprocket » February 14th, 2018, 2:10 pm

greenjack wrote:
Sprocket wrote:London doesn't really have any grand Boulevards like that, except possibly Regent Street, that I can think of: Oxford Street is too tatty to count. Possibly that's because it got seven shades of shit bombed out of it by the Luftwaffe, so much of it is post-war reconstruction.
[Edit] - Yes, I think Regent Street would count: it's rather grand, although it lacks the trees of Continental ones. https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/20 ... gent_1.jpg

Apparently Christopher Wren had plans to rebuild London after the Great Fire of 1666 with wide boulevards. However didn't seem to get around to achieving it.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... -fire-1666

According to a programme on TV not long ago, his grand plan had to be abandoned because it was necessary to re-house people quickly, and it was much quicker to re-build on the existing street plan.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » February 22nd, 2018, 4:07 pm

Deleted, my comments of routine bookkeeping and money required for my journey home I think in retrospect are of little interest to anyone.
We leave early Saturday by 5 am.head for the I75 North. Stop in Kentucky, if we can get that far in a day.Then on past Lexington, Dayton, Toledo, Lima and Detroit on Sunday , should reach there between 2 and 3 pm.Then over the Ambassador Bridge , to Canada, then on to London,Woodstock, Kitchener/ Waterloo, Mississauga and final!y Etobicoke ,just after dark.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 22nd, 2018, 4:25 pm

If anyone wants free road maps that are up to date, that I use, of Northern ;( Canada) and US states, plus Southern states and a detailed map of Florida, I will mail them to him/her once I get home.
:grin:

Free of course, and a copy of a road map of any state ..say California, and the West. PM me, first come first served.And I pay the postage.

I am allowed from CAA,one copy per year of road maps of anywhere in North America and so far I haven't made a request for 2018. I use last years maps as they do not change over the years. Perhaps someone in a geography class would be glad of them, I don't know.

EDIT. Perhaps, a road map isn't the best kind of map for geography.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 25th, 2018, 12:37 am

Well, we made it to Berea, Ky, where we stay at Holiday Inn Express.

Good weather so far and I expect a good journey home tomorrow.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 25th, 2018, 9:44 am

Very nice day today, going out later with son. Very early it was freezing cold but that didn't last, sun is shining.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Very nice today, but it's going to be arctic later in the week, with a few inches of snow likely in much of the country.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » February 26th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Why is the first day after you return home from vacation the busiest day when tempers get frayed and it is if you have never been away. I'll tell you why, it is because you have to unpack, read the mail, glance at six of Catholic Registers which are either pro Francis or sit on the fence theologically. I threw the lot of them, six editions in the garbage.I am worn out and so is the wife?We need a holiday! Begging letters abound and political parties have asked for money. Even good Catholic orgs are too much, always asking for more. I tore the lot up this morning. My wife is giving money to the Yonge Street Mission, as she always does. That one is very good.
Even at OLS church this morning, the priest talked about the Olympics and doing your best..An Italian born woman who is very involved with the Church, she does work with the St Vincent de Paul Society as a bookkeeper, said to us this morning , looking at me said . Are you staying out of trouble? That made me laugh.
She said she hasn't seen us for weeks and wondered what happened to us. Another lady talked to my wife.She is the one who is in charge of catechism for kids and she wants Mary back in class teaching on Mondays. Not tonight , but later on.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm

After paying $6.25 Canadian (or 5 dollars American) you can cross the Ambassador bridge back into Canada from Detroit. But, I wondered what would happen if you took the exit ,37B by mistake. It says you cannot turn back !!
You cross the river on the bridge and line up with dozens of cars all waiting to clear Canadian Border Services. There were six open booths in a row for cars plus on for Nexus (frequent priviliged travellers) . And four closed booths and then some for truckers only. We picked the slowest line up out of six. As my wife was telling me while waiting. Every car in our queue seemed to take five minutes to pass while at the other five booths they were whisked through in less than a minute, or so it seemed.
When our turn came, the officer, a young woman grilled my wife about 8 cans of ale, thinking that we had 8 crates of ale, or 8 boxes of ale.My wife got mad , and I tried to calm her down. The officer asked her why are you upset.this is a job, I don't make the laws. I am convinced that during training ,when in doubt officers try to get clients to lose their temper in order to but out the truth. I don't think that is right.I knew what the officer was doing and I think it is wrong. I had no problem with duty free Canadian Club and three 750 liter bottles of wine. But, it was questioning my son's beer he had left in the fridge that raised the heckles of the officer and my wife.After some exchange of words she let us through, saying she was explaining the laws to us.
I know what the officer was trying to do and I disagree with those tactics.

A real smuggler would be as cool as a cucumber when going through border security, and catching and eighty year old woman who has a coup!e of extra beer cans for her son is the only thing that these tactics result in.
It was absolutely ridiculous.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox