What’s the weather like in your area?

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: What’s the weather like in your area?

Postby Sprocket » March 1st, 2018, 1:46 pm

It started snowing here late last night, and it still is, though not heavily. The snow, as predicted by the Met Office, is unusually dry and powdery, so doesn't stick together much and blows around. There isn't much wind, but there is a breeze, and pavements are bare at points that catch the wind. The snow is nowhere very thick, but it is extremely cold; colder than I can remember for years. My delivery colleagues are still working, though - I got the post this morning.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 1st, 2018, 2:36 pm

Lucky for you. No post here yesterday or today. Still, no bills, adverts, leaflets about sale offers must be something of a result.
Snow is thick here but traffic and buses going up and down the road as normal, the road itself is clear if not pavements, drives and gardens. I imagine the side roads have dense snow in them.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 1st, 2018, 11:24 pm

No snow to be seen here, Spring is to be short-lived ,however, as much snow is expected on Friday afternoon in the Western part of the GTA.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 2nd, 2018, 12:14 am

CTA? Canadian Transportation Agency?

Well it is really freezing cold here and there will probably be more snow tomorrow, Friday. I'm expecting a grocery delivery between 10am and 12noon, I hope it flipping well comes!
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 2nd, 2018, 10:44 am

GTA means Greater Toronto Area., Lyn.
We have had a light covering of snow overnight which should not be enough to close schools or stop traffic up the hill.
I haven't seen the local TV station news yet, so I don't know what the weather is like in other places than central Etobicoke.

I did my banking yesterday, we have no bills to pay that way. If we do have any others they will be paid over the house telephone.
Still, as it is First Friday we will be at Mass at 8:15 this morning. It is Lent!
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 2nd, 2018, 11:08 am

Aha! I looked at your post in the half light and saw a C instead of G.

Still a thick blanket of crisp snow here but traffic is moving back and forth quite well. It was raining a bit earlier. Very cold.

Later: Pleased to say i just got some post, 1215, quite a lot for both of us in fact plus pizza delivery adverts. None of the post for me was interesting, one from a charity offering a free will writing service which I don't need because my will is made, one sale advert for clothing. Still I'm glad the postal deliveries are back to normal. Oh I do have a parcel to open but I know what it is, some glasses (tumblers) I bought on ebay because I keep breaking ones that live in the kitchen.

Groceries delivered half an hour ago. Might go back to bed!
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » March 2nd, 2018, 2:04 pm

It's finally stopped snowing, but it's still very cold. 2nd March, and it's colder than it's been all winter!
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » March 2nd, 2018, 7:21 pm

It started snowing again later. There's something to be said for this arctic weather - we've all just finished work about two and a half hours early, because the country's snow-bound, and no mail is moving anywhere. This happened once before, about 10 years ago, but that was in the depths of Winter, not, as now, on the cusp of Spring
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » March 2nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

I have just seen wintery ,snow conditions in England, and people were pushing cars on the street. You have my sympathy, or empathy. Now I have no answers except stock up on food and drink and heating oil, or heating fuel for a few days. You never know. The beast from the East is not Putin!
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Val » March 5th, 2018, 11:49 am

Hello survivors of the snowstorm, it started snowing here last Tuesday evening 27th February then more on Wednesday, on Wednesday evening we had a low temp of -10c with real feel of -17c, about midnight the real snow started and temp went up to -4c, all day Thursday and Friday it snowed, my beautiful hedging I planted 26 years ago of variegated ivy and roses couldn't take the weight of snow with gales of over 100 kilometres per hour and was pulled away from the wall all 8 foot of it.
So I was out on Thursday night about midnight cutting some hedge so I could move my van and herindoors car as they were being battered by the flapping remnants, yesterday I surveyed the damage, the hedge is destroyed and I had to cut it away in large but manageable chunks it was like a cutting a deep carpet and I felt sorry for all the bugs, slugs and snails that had happily lived under its protection for all those years, but the birds had field day of feasting.

We were snowbound until yesterday afternoon, our estate had a depth over 2 feet of snow and with drifting it was even more, finally got the cars out yesterday evening but most by roads are still snowbound, out with friends in Wicklow they've had drifts of over 10 foot and have lost farm animals like sheep and some cattle that had been buried under the snow fall after they took refuge in sheltered areas.

The cost of recovery will run into billions of Euros and now as the snow melts we have flooding and damage with leaking pipes causing property damage.

A weather expert was talking on Thursday night about our extreme weather with so many storms over the last 6 months.
He said that on a monitoring station in northern Greenland inside the Arctic circle that it was just -15c at least 20c degrees above normal.
This is caused by global warming without any doubt, he said these extremes are what they forecast because of changes in global temperatures but was worried as they are happening much faster that they would expect.

We in Ireland have had nothing like these last storms since records began, it is just 0c atm but never got above 2c since last Monday 26th but because of easterly wind it feels like -10 so I look forwards to Sumner
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox