Snippets

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Snippets

Postby Pondero » December 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm

Sprocket wrote:https://www.republic.org.uk/

Treason! Ask the ghost of Henty VIII or Queen Elizabeth I.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 2nd, 2017, 9:41 pm

Don't believe in ghosts.
Lyn

Postby GregB » December 3rd, 2017, 9:02 am

Lyn wrote:Don't believe in ghosts.

Me neither...but I do believe in spirits:
https://www.rationalwine.com/wp-content ... pirits.jpg
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Sprocket » December 3rd, 2017, 1:19 pm

GregB wrote:Apart from that being your opinion (fair enough!), why is she calling herself in public Meghan instead of Rachel when most people use their first forename of two? Come on, obviously because in PR terms that is more attractive than Rachel.
My mother was Elizabeth Joan, but always called Joan, presumably because she preferred her middle name.
Thanks for that link, Steve. It really is time to consign these useless parasites to the dustbin of history and establish a presidential republic - and I say that from the perspective of a centre-right conservative.

My pleasure, and agreed.
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » December 4th, 2017, 8:52 am

A similar thing occurs with Spanish surnames. Spaniards officially have two surnames, the first of their father and the second of their mother (when they have their own children, the child takes the father's surname first and then the mother's, and so on.) However, they are often known by just one of them, usually the first (eg. my wife is called Roser Martí Cobos, but is usually just Roser Martí.) If they are not keen on the first parental name, however, they often use the second in public, especially if the first one is more commonplace. For example, García is perhaps the most common Spanish surname (like Smith in the UK) so a person may just use their second surname instead, a current example being one of the candidates in the forthcoming Catalan elections. His full name is Xavier Garcia Albiol but he is known as Xavier Albiol, a much more unusual and striking surname.
GregB

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2017, 11:32 am

Most of the people on TV this early morning giving weather forecasts or news snippets look hung over, suffering from a hangover .Their hair is all disheveled, their eyes are baggy , and they are in rough shape. I am not kidding, I have seen a couple like that already. :grin:
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » December 24th, 2017, 1:55 pm

GregB

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... -569397319

No, this is more like the one giving the weather forecast Greg.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » December 29th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Here's an odd fact: Hedy Lamarr, the Hollywood actress, was also the co-inventor of a system called "frequency-hopping" which prevented radio signals being deliberately jammed by a wartime enemy. It became the basis of Bluetooth and Wifi technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency ... d_spectrum
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » December 31st, 2017, 1:44 am

Sprocket wrote:Here's an odd fact: Hedy Lamarr, the Hollywood actress, was also the co-inventor of a system called "frequency-hopping" which prevented radio signals being deliberately jammed by a wartime enemy. It became the basis of Bluetooth and Wifi technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency ... d_spectrum

First I have heard of it. I can see it's usefulness in transmitting secret communications. Maybe Val knows something about it.
John Lennox
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox