Snippets

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Snippets

Postby GregB » December 31st, 2017, 9:03 am

She was actually an Austrian by birth (real name: Hedwig Kiesler) and was considered to be one of the most beautiful actresses in Hollywood.

https://theislandnow.com/wp-content/upl ... lamarr.jpg
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Sprocket » December 31st, 2017, 9:15 am

Typical 30s/40s sort of beauty. Obviously a multi-talented woman.
The idiot who, in railway carriages, talks on a mobile phone
We only suffer to ride on the buffer of a Virgin Train, alone.
W.S.Gilbert, modernised.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » December 31st, 2017, 10:23 am

Absolutely lovely. When I was a child (under 11 or so), I used to watch 'old' films,1930s/40s often wartime, on TV with my parents and the female actors were always glamourous in an 'old fashioned' way; the romances were unbelievably (& frequently unrealistically) wonderful. My head was filled with them and I'm not so sure it did me much good. Escapism is great but I was very young and impressionable, imagined myself in those roles before I was old enough to understand what it was all about.

However, it's good to see a picture of a beautiful actress who was also extremely successful at her craft and clever besides.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 31st, 2017, 11:47 am

No one is saying anything about the education and training she must have had in radio?
Perhaps the Americans don't want people to delve into it,.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muYlAsUDibE :|
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » December 31st, 2017, 1:22 pm

She had no scientific training, in radio or whatever. From the wikipedia article:
"Although Lamarr had no formal training and was primarily self-taught, she worked in her spare time on various hobbies and inventions, which included an improved traffic stoplight and a tablet that would dissolve in water to create a carbonated drink. The beverage was unsuccessful; Lamarr herself said it tasted like Alka-Seltzer."

I'm not sure what you're implying about "American people not wanting to delve into it". Into what? As for the video, it says nothing about her non-cinematic interests. And whoever that fatuous chat show host was in 1969, he's the precursor of a whole slew of idiotic American chat show hosts who ever play to their dumbed down audiences. (And Woody Allen hadn't yet grown up then...)
GregB

Postby GregB » January 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42784305
Neil Diamond has decided to leave the performing stage at the age of 77 given his suffering from Parkinson's disease, although he intends to carry on recording. I recall one of our old forum friends here, Lynne, who sadly lost her husband some time ago, who was a great fan of Neil Diamond. He was not one of my favourite singers but I did like 'Cracklin' Rosie' (about a bottle of wine, not a woman), his version of 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' and that intriguing songlist of failed heroes, 'Done Too Soon'. How he has aged (not surprising, though.)

'Done Too Soon'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPkewfBN8A
Live version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0koSdk_ACWw
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 23rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

I like him, Greg. I was sad to read the news about him last night but he may be OK for quite a long time yet. The late Lynne was 'Sweet Caroline' on the BBC forums. She sure was a big fan.

He did a wonderful duet with Shirley Bassey which I saw/heard on telly a while back, it was so full of emotion. He starts off and she joins him, "Play Me". I'll see if I can find it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axH_nNprRSg
Lyn

Postby GregB » January 23rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

Meanwhile do listen to those two versions of 'Done Too Soon', a totally original song.
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

Magical.
I'm going to say something soppy and childlike: I wonder if Lynne listens to that sweet music up in Heaven.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 24th, 2018, 6:52 pm

My wife met one of these long 5 foot black snakes in the open garage an hour ago. It was trying to get into our kitchen through the kitchen door. I immediately phoned the company that rents our property to see if it was venomous .It is not.( I used to call the company "The agency" until after watching tv shows here I found the name had more sinister connotations, so now I will call it the rental agency .)It is now hiding in the hibiscus bushes in the front garden. We chased it with brooms, it was a fast moving thing.There are 46 species of snakes in Florida, only 6 of which are venomous.

Southern Black Racer
The southern black racer (Coluber constrictor), also known as the eastern racer, is the “black snake” most commonly found in urban and natural areas throughout all of Florida (Figure 1). These long, slender snakes can grow to 4–5 feet long, and have smooth gray/black scales on their backs and bellies and white chins and throats.

Adult black racers are commonly found sunning themselves on lawns, shrubbery, walkways and fences, and are occasionally found in houses (particularly after rains). Racers are harmless to people and are swift and agile (as their name implies), fleeing rapidly when approached. However, if they are cornered and feel threatened, they may vigorously shake their tail (making a rattling sound on the floor or dry leaves) and may release a foul smelling 'musk' on their captor or even strike if handled. Black racers use their speed to catch a variety of prey, including frogs, lizards, small snakes, birds, and rodents.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox