The Dead Thread

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: The Dead Thread

Postby Lyn » December 6th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Pondero wrote:What a life they led, all on the slippery slope to Hell.,especially Mandy Rice (whatever) .Christine Keeler got most of the news , not the other one. It just shows you the power of women over men in this world . Having thought about it when younger I used to say. If I had been God, I would have thought of a different way of propagating the species.

Mandy Rice Davies, Pondero.
That was quite a misogynistic post if I may say so and shows a lot about your attitude to women. Never mind the 'Slippery slope to Hell' indeed. Who are you to judge? The women - who were young at the time - got the blame for the scandal and were powerless against the men in authority.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 6th, 2017, 11:40 pm

I never mentioned Profumo.And I realize that both young women were in above their head.What did they know about spying.*
After 52 years of marriage and having a daughter who is quite modern and sophisticated as well as being successful in her field , I think I know a lot about women. I disagree quite often with my daughter and yet we get along even with my faults.

* Nevertheless Mandy Rice Davies was on the slippery slope to Hell, based on fact, her lifestyle! I would have said the same about anyone who lived like that whether they were Men , women or considered themselves genderless.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 7th, 2017, 1:48 am

Pondero wrote:I never mentioned Profumo.And I realize that both young women were in above their head.What did they know about spying.*
After 52 years of marriage and having a daughter who is quite modern and sophisticated as well as being successful in her field , I think I know a lot about women. I disagree quite often with my daughter and yet we get along even with my faults.

* Nevertheless Mandy Rice Davies was on the slippery slope to Hell, based on fact, her lifestyle! I would have said the same about anyone who lived like that whether they were Men , women or considered themselves genderless.

Mandy R-D was only eighteen when it all happened Pondero and built a new life which was quite successful.
I forgot this was the 'Dead Thread", Greg posted something at the bottom of last page so I suggest everyone has a look at it.
Lyn

Postby GregB » December 7th, 2017, 7:57 am

Thanks Lyn. Actually, I've brought it forward for easier access with slight additions. Unfortunately, posts here at times do tend to get buried (apt term!) beneath others when people are popping off one after the other. As with Snippets (similar rapid turnover problem at times), I always check back to see if I've missed something.

Ex-King Michael I of Rumania has died at the age of 96. Perhaps not so widely well known these days but he had a remarkable life having lived through the major events and turmoil of the twentieth century. I well recall from one of my university courses (in European fascism) his role in the political upheavals in Rumania during the Second World War and his opposition to the dictator and ally of Hitler, Marshal Antonescu. Some here may remember the 1987 TV serialisation of Olivia Manning's Balkan trilogy, Fortunes of War, set in wartime Bucharest, with Kenneth Branagh in one of his early starring roles and with his then wife, Emma Thompson. It was really very good and all seven episodes are available on youtube.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... of-romania
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby GregB » January 24th, 2018, 8:27 am

The science fiction/fantasy author, Ursula K. Le Guin has died at the age of 88. Her novels were highly regarded, transcending the genre in literary terms. I recall reading the Earthsea trilogy in the late 1960's when I went through a phase of reading science fiction and fantasy works. The influence of Tolkien was evident, though she had her own style. Surprisingly, the Earthsea novels have never been filmed; perhaps her demise might now revive interest in the possibility, especially given the popularity of the genre (ie. LOTR, Game of Thrones, Marvel Comic film adaptations, etc.) and use of sophisticated computer-generated imagery.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42798654
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 24th, 2018, 9:40 am

I read that, Greg. Can't say I am familar with her work, woul be good if 'Earthsea' was made into a serialised drama.

Jim Rodford died aged 76, Kinks bassist but worked with many, many others. He had a long and fulfilling career, everyone has good things to say. He fell downstairs unfortunately (something I've done with no ill effetcs but of course it would be easy to break neck or something). I was impressed with all that was said about him.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... dies-at-76

Dolores O'Riordan of the beautiful voice, and the Cranberrys, died on 15/01/18 at 46. I loved listening to her.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42785789
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 21st, 2018, 9:12 pm

Billy Graham dies aged 99.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » February 22nd, 2018, 8:53 am

A good innings, as they say.
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 23rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

Definitely. 99 is excellent age to reach.
RIP Bllly, controversial at times,Was better later on in his career than earlier.but overall, imo, did more good than harm.
I would love to have met him (maybe I will).
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 25th, 2018, 12:45 am

Emma Chambers (Alice from Vicar of Dibley) died last Wednesday aged 53.

Ever youthful, funny, sweet. Very sad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daphne-Maurier ... 8&qid=&sr=
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox