The Dead Thread

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: The Dead Thread

Postby GregB » February 25th, 2018, 8:19 am

I don't see the connection with Daphne Du Maurier. :scratch:

I've never seen 'The Vicar of Dibley' and it was never shown on TV here (some British sitcoms are, though), so her name wasn't familiar to me. According to the obituary below, she died of 'natural causes'. She was only 53, which seems rather young to die of natural causes, something which is usually a result of old age. It's most often some form of cancer or congenital defect which claims the lives of younger people, though I wouldn't describe cancer (or any other disease for that matter) as 'natural causes' myself.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -of-dibley
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 25th, 2018, 9:43 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I posted a link that I had previously copied. Happens sometimes.

This is about Emma Chambers ( I will check before posting):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43183354

She was hilarious in the Vicar of Dibley which was a really good sitcom, Dawn French was Geraldine, the vicar. It was OTT humour which you have to accept. Emma was in many other things but not so recently because of health. An extremely funny, youthful and delightful actress. I feel sorry for her husband who must be devastated (unlike many she only had one!).

Emma was known to have severe respiratory problems which she had suffered all her life and we may hear more about her cause of death in the next few days. Could be anything, people die at any age including children.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 27th, 2018, 2:43 am

It's been revealed that Emma Chambers had a coronary. Her respiratory problems may well have weakened her heart.

Last night on the news it was revealed that a famous Bollywood actress, Sridevi, had died suddenly at 54. I'd not heard of her before but obviously anyone Indian would have. What really shocked me was that she, her husband and one of their daughters were in Dubai for a wedding when she died (she too had a coronary whilst in the bath, slipped underwater and drowned); I could almost feel the shock and horror that her husband and daughter must have felt at her sudden death at a relatively young age while they were all away having a good time. She was a very beautiful woman, an interview with her was shown on TV. Just goes to show you never know the minute nor the hour.
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 5th, 2018, 8:27 am

The man who established the first world record for the 'four minute mile' (actually, just under) in 1954, Roger Bannister, has died at the age of 88. After his athletic record breaking efforts, he went on to become a notable neurosurgeon. I was only seven years old at the time, so I have no clear recollection of it, though I did learn of it later as it entered the national consciousness and heroes' gallery, not least through the famous photograph of Bannister breaking through the finishing line tape (it's in the Guardian article below.)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... efined-him
GregB

Postby Sprocket » March 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm

GregB wrote:The man who established the first world record for the 'four minute mile' (actually, just under) in 1954, Roger Bannister, has died at the age of 88. After his athletic record breaking efforts, he went on to become a notable neurosurgeon. I was only seven years old at the time, so I have no clear recollection of it, though I did learn of it later as it entered the national consciousness and heroes' gallery, not least through the famous photograph of Bannister breaking through the finishing line tape (it's in the Guardian article below.)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... efined-him

Maybe we should observe just under four minutes of silence...
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » March 5th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Perhaps - though if the record time of the race was the yardstick for silent tribute, it's fortunate he didn't establish a record for the marathon... :o
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm

I met him late 1970s, he was working as a consultant at the neurological hospital in Queen Square (used to be called 'Hospital for Nervous Diseases'). I remember him quite well.
He did very well reaching 88, he spoke about the irony of him having Parkinsons Disease but thankfully he was quite elderly when diagnosed, it's much harsher for younger people. I doubt he was thankful but would have been aware of the fact.
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 7th, 2018, 8:17 am

Those of us with long memories can't help thinking about those other two athletes who accompanied Bannister in the famous race as pacemakers, Chris Chataway and Chris Brasher. Chataway got involved in politics and broadcasting, dying at the age of 82, while Brasher focused more on business, succumbing to pancreatic cancer at the age of 74. All three were from upper-middle class backgrounds in an age when most athletes were 'gentlemen amateurs'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 7th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I remember Chris Chataway, not Brasher. Yes you're right about them being from fairly genteel backgrounds, that was also true for other sports. There were also certain professions, especially those that attracted women, the majority of whom were middle class girls. Seems odd now.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » March 8th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I was sad to read yesterday that William Roache's (Ken Barlow from Corrie) eldest daughter, Vanya, from his first marriage, Linus's 'full' sister, had died aged 50. Very sad. He is devastated.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... ue#image=1

According to today's news she died of liver failure due to rare blood disease.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox