Good news stories

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Good news stories

Postby Pondero » August 27th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Good news : each Canadian medal winner will receive money from the Canadian Olympic Committee's Athlete Excellence Fund. The four gold medal winners will each receive $20,000, the silver medalists will take home $15,000 per medal and each of Canada's 15 bronze medal winners will each receive $10,000.
Prizes apply to each member of a winning team.
The bad news is that All prize money for achievement in a field of endeavour..... is taxable by the Canada Revenue Agency, unless the CRA defines the prize as "prescribed" such as the gold medal itself, in which case it is not taxable.
I hope the auditors don't wait for the medalists to arrive home at the airport. :grin:
This reminds me of a tax auditor I worked with who would catch the Three Stooges in Toronto after a performance before they left for the states with the money.
I did attend his funeral, it was the first and onlyJewish funeral I attended. Some lady in attendance looked around at Al's old pals at the synagogue as we put on our yomulkas, and said . " There are a lot of blue-eyed Jews in attendance".
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » February 3rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

Just reviving this old thread to recount something which happened to us yesterday. More and more bars here in Barcelona are being bought by Chinese immigrants as the original proprietors retire. We were in one such yesterday having a Martini when my wife, Roser, went to the toilet. She returned with blood welling from her middle finger having caught it and cut it on some part of the toilet door handle. The young woman from the family running the place immediately got some gauzes, plaster tape and iodine from the kitchen and attended to my wife for several minutes, continuously wiping the blood away and applying gauzes to stanch the bleeding, meanwhile sending one of her brothers to a nearby pharmacy for a bandage. There was a nice empathetic relationship struck up in the circumstances between my wife, who is a friendly affectionate person towards everyone, despite the limitations of her brain condition, and the very warmly friendly Chinese young lady. Sometimes the conventional wall between people - eg. in a shop or bar owner and customer context - can be broken down in exceptional situations bringing out the best and latent humanity in us.
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 3rd, 2018, 7:13 pm

That is heartwarming.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 3rd, 2018, 10:14 pm

That is truly heartwarming Greg. I trust your wife is fine now.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » February 4th, 2018, 9:05 am

She's fine, thanks, Pondero. We're applying an antiseptic gel daily to the cut, which is steadily healing, covered by a small wrap-around bandage.
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Previous

Return to Chatterbox