Good news stories

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Good news stories

Postby different glory » July 1st, 2015, 3:49 am

Okay this is not a suggestion that you donate to this, but I thought it was a good-news story in that the way it's growing, and the comments show a wonderful worldwide surge of support for the Greek people, and a heartening reluctance to let the big money movers decide Europe's future.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gree ... und#/story
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » August 14th, 2015, 8:40 am

Here's a moving story of compassion in a time of war and beyond:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/14/asia/ ... index.html
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » August 14th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I have a good news story about me. Don't know if it should go on here but thought I would put it anyway. My natural mother (I was adopted as a baby), sent me a cheque for £10,000, in a very nice card. I nearly fainted. I sent her some flowers and she sent me a lovely thank you card, saying she wanted me to have something while I was "still young enough to spend it", ha ha. She said I will receive more money when she "pops off". I at last have a little next egg but am spending a bit of it, not too much.

I never expected to hear from her or even to know when she died. I still haven't got over the shock.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 14th, 2015, 3:04 pm

That is very good news Victoria Plum. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby different glory » August 15th, 2015, 1:06 am

Two great stories!

The story of care for the enemy dead in wartime is very moving, Greg - thank you! Much to ponder, there.

and that's stunning, VP! I'm very glad, partly because money can be so useful (having fun is also a good use!) but also because it's someone reaching out. Lovely, truly.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby GregB » September 12th, 2015, 9:06 am

I found this story very heartening. Here's a remarkable woman with a generous spirit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34198967
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby different glory » September 16th, 2015, 12:33 am

Thanks for reminding us of human goodness,Greg. The world needs more such reminders - of what's possible as well as what is.
different glory

Postby different glory » November 4th, 2015, 1:57 am

The Melbourne Cup produced a small, cheerful, side-story this year - of family solidarity and achievement.
different glory

Postby GregB » November 4th, 2015, 8:33 am

Yes, very heartening. It made me wonder if there are degrees of Down Syndrome. In the waiting room at my oculist's yesterday, there was a man with the syndrome accompanied by his aged mother and he seemed totally disconnected and withdrawn, muttering to himself incoherently. On the other hand, my wife and I went to a restaurant a while back where one of the waitresses was a sufferer of the syndrome. She seemed very bright and perky and on the ball, taking our order with no problem and speaking reasonably coherently, later bringing the dishes briskly and composedly.
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby different glory » November 6th, 2015, 4:49 am

Yes, for sure there are degrees of Down Syndrome - the lad working as a strapper seems to be fairly lightly affected.
different glory

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox