Daily Chat

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Daily Chat

Postby maz » June 2nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

I initially thought 'Snippets' covered this need [going back on Chatterbox threads looking for something like this], but read more and realised what it was for..

so if anyone just wants to post personal news or off topic comments
would this not help?
[to save it going on other topics and distracting them]
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Re: Daily Chat

Postby Sweet Peace » June 2nd, 2011, 9:56 pm

It's a great idea, Maz. I've often thought of starting similar -how was/is your day. Snippets was meant to be more for impersonal bits that didn't seem to necessitate a thread of their own.
So how's my day? Too soon to say, really. Was woken by my alarm a short time ago at 7.40 to join the St Thads prayers. More later. :|
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby maz » June 2nd, 2011, 10:35 pm

must be my ageing brain - finding it harder to remember time zone issues and a few other things [thyroid brain fog] - so grateful to my 21 year old son, Daniel - ever since he was about 2 he has loved numbers [as his exam results bear out*] and has picked up the logic that me and my husband do have in us, but is tested a lot because of huge stress and ageing...he is such a good and caring kid [as are both of our children]
anyway, he has helped me today on some numerical/financial issues [as my brain is so tired recently]

*but he also has the balance of emotional intelligence too - so proud of him
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby Lyn » June 4th, 2011, 10:25 pm

This is a good idea. For a couple of days I've been wondering what to say :-). I can't see my life as being particularly interesting to anyone else. If something funny happens I will post it. This could be Thad's version of Twitter :-). I managed to catch four of my five cats to give them their monthly back of the neck flea prevention and am quite pleased about that. Two, one in particular, seem to know when it is coming and avoid me as much as possible. When I eventually catch them they carry on as if I am murdering them. Tough! They get their three-monthly worm treatment in a fortnight or so. Then I will be in the doghouse. The two male cats are so laid back, couldn't care less, I can even do it when they are eating.

My husband went out for fish and chips this lunchtime. When he came back he said it was the most expensive fish and chips he had ever bought - he got a parking ticket. (Hee hee.)(He is not saying "Hee hee".)

I am reading a forensic/detective novel at the moment. Haven't a clue what it is about, I might start reading it upside down actually. They all blend into the same after a while, good cop, bad cop, good forensic scientist, love angle between two of them (one of them might get murdered), nasty serial killers, sometimes a religious angle, lots of danger for those who stick their necks out but in the end the villain is caught. I have read so many over the past two years I forget whether I am in London, Edinburgh or Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I tend to read the words imagining the characters speaking them in my mind. I had two Scotsmen having an argument the other week, convinced I was reading an Ian Rankin. Turns out they should have been talking New York. Definitely upside down for me tonight. Nobody's reading has gone downhill quite as much as mine over the past few years and why not?

So as you can see I have no news. My son moved house last weekend, John helped a bit. He now lives within walking distance. Quite a pokey little place to be honest but close to nice restaurants and cafes. When he asked me what I thought I said, "Very buzzy, great to be so close to restaurants and cafes, also a nice pub by the lake (pond), quite trendy", well what else could I say? He looked straight at me and said, very serious."But I am not trendy". Well he can say that again. Still a change is as good as a rest. What was nice was that John went down to the pub to join them on the Sunday night, there was a charity pub quiz. He quite enjoyed that, walked home afterwards.

Hope you have all enjoyed the good weather. Though I haven't been anywhere it has been pleasant, not too hot, and I got loads of washing dry on the line today. John mowed the back lawn and has since been lying flat, wheezing a bit. He has caught the cold I had last week which is why I didn't go out for meal last Saturday night with all of them, I was spluttering and sneezing (I paid for it so I was there in spirit). He went back to their place afterwards and played Monopoly until 2am. I like it when he does things like that, it's good for him as all he ever seems to do is work.

No doubt I will have more interesting things to tell you next week. I am having my feet done on Tuesday, that will be thrilling. Did the dentist a couple of weeks ago and needed no treatment, I said I was in status quo and the dentist fell about laughing. Whatever does he mean, cheeky thing.

I wish tomorrow I could get myself nicely dressed and go off somewhere interesting for a few hours, see something new. I keep saying I am going to see the Tracey Emin exhibition at the Heywood. That is on until August. I might even pull (I dread to think what).
Lyn

Postby Sweet Peace » June 4th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Not much happening in my life. On the computer too much, as usual. I've been knitting a pair of socks for my sister using Noro sock wool and listening to an audiobook, The Hole in our Gospel, by the US president of World Vision, Richard Stearns. It was the free offering on christianaudio in recent months. (This month's is A Place of Healing by Joni Eareckson Tada. free monthly download. You have to sign up but they don't send spam. )
Sweet Peace

Postby GregB » June 5th, 2011, 6:46 am

Vix wrote:
I keep saying I am going to see the Tracey Emin exhibition at the Heywood.

Oh, come on, Vix - not that dreadful woman who was responsible for the disgraceful unmade bed/soiled underwear exhibit? One senses in such a person a kind of hatred of normal society and a vicious desire to provoke from the depths of the kind of mental bedlam sociopathic radicals like her inhabit. If she's so keen on tableaux vivants then perhaps they should lock her in a portable padded cell and put her on show, replete with spittle-soiled straitjacket, where she could rant and rage and hurl abuse (if nothing more tangible :roll: ) at spectators.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » June 5th, 2011, 7:29 am

I have only seen her work on television and in Sunday paper magazines and it is not my sort of thing but, from what I have read about her and interviews with her, am quite interested in her as a person so, yes, I would like to see the exhibition, just to get a bit more of an idea what she is like. Also the Heywood Gallery is easy for me to reach, just one 25 minute train ride to Waterloo. It's nice up there on the South Bank, especially in the summer. I used to meet friends there for eats. I could wander into the exhibition, have a look around and, even if I only spent half an hour in there, I could find something else of interest in the vicinity. If I felt like going home it wouldn't be too far for me to get back to the station and home. You have to remember I haven't been going out much over the last few years and, before that, I used to go to lots of things and never thought twice about travelling all over London, so it might be a minor adventure for me.

Another day starts. I find weekends incredibly tedious, glad this one will soon be over.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » June 5th, 2011, 12:34 pm

GregB wrote:Vix wrote:
I keep saying I am going to see the Tracey Emin exhibition at the Heywood.

Oh, come on, Vix - not that dreadful woman who was responsible for the disgraceful unmade bed/soiled underwear exhibit? One senses in such a person a kind of hatred of normal society and a vicious desire to provoke from the depths of the kind of mental bedlam sociopathic radicals like her inhabit. If she's so keen on tableaux vivants then perhaps they should lock her in a portable padded cell and put her on show, replete with spittle-soiled straitjacket, where she could rant and rage and hurl abuse (if nothing more tangible :roll: ) at spectators.

Went off our Trace a bit when she came out as a Tory, but still like her. She does have detectable artistic talent, unlike some of her YBO contemporaries.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Sweet Peace » June 6th, 2011, 1:38 am

Sitting here waiting for a mandarin juice from freshly picked mandarins. I remember as a child my first taste of mandarin was in chocolates. It's incredible to have trees full of them.
We're planning today to take down some of the tea-tree that is shading the back garden and has grown too tall to pick. It's the same Melaleuca alternifolia that is used as antiseptic, (named tea-tree because early European settlers used to make tea from some forms of tea-tree). Before it got too high, I used to pick a bunch of it and pour hot water over it in the mop bucket -voila! instant consumer-free floor wash. You could do the same with a couple of sprigs of thyme - it's a powerful antiseptic.
I'm having a revival of interest in resource security after watching videos about comet elinin, the dwarf star. Apparently it was in it's previous alignment with earth that the Christchurch and Japanese earthquakes occurred and the next on Sept 26 is with it much closer. Even if there aren't massive solar flares or shifting of the magnetic poles, I'd still like to be more self-sufficient -which is something I've been working on for nearly 40 years but slacked off considerably in the past decade.
Sweet Peace

Postby different glory » June 6th, 2011, 4:22 am

It's incredible to have trees full of them.

Oh, I really understand that feeling, SP!, of how miraculous it is to see food we didn't grow up with (and therefore think of, deep down, as "ordinary") growing on trees -- I remember when I first saw pears growing -- it was like ... somewhere between make-believe and miracle
And of course it IS a miracle and a great gift that food just rises up out of the earth for us.

And (speaking of fruit, and to tie in better with the dailiness of this thread) for breakfast this morning, I've had watermelon, and pineapple and lychees, all fresh and all delicious. :)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Next

Return to Chatterbox