Daily Chat

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Daily Chat

Postby Lyn » February 27th, 2018, 8:02 am

Pondero: "...catching and eighty year old woman who has a coup!e of extra beer cans for her son is the only thing that these tactics result in.
It was absolutely ridiculous."

Absolutely Pondy, really mean spirited. I'm glad it didn't work!
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 4th, 2018, 10:42 am

I went to a family gathering last night at someone's house and started talking to a businessman.I fired a few questions at him such as , Does the bank look after your payroll, ? And do you have cash flow problems? How long does it take to get paid? 30 days, 60 days....he replied sometimes 90 days! Any tax problems?
Anyway , he wants me to go in to his company next Wednesday to see if I can advise him on anything.His wife who does the bookkeeping, maybe doing a good job,.She has no objection to me looking over her shoulder for a day or so.
I have no idea how I got myself into this "consulting" business.It was just the anniversary of the death of his grand mother.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 5th, 2018, 11:01 am

Yesterday afternoon my youngest of our two grandsons visited us, for a meal and to chat.He doesn't chat much to me, he talks to his grandmother a lot. His mother was present too.
From what I could hear he likes his job, but it is different in many respects from what I understood it to be.First of all he is in an office building not a trailer on the construction site.He doesn't go out to fetch coffee.They have a coffee machine. He sees his boss, the project manager in the morning.The project manager leaves for meetings all the time.Sometimes with the architects.
Civil engineers run the show.Under them are "technicians" who supervise construction superintendents, who supervise foremen who supervise the construction workers.
He sometimes starts at 8.am not 7 am. Today a large overhead t shaped crane will arrive on the building site.Someone has to be there to see the men arrive on time (not him). He has to take orders and relay them to men doing the work. He also studies drawings, as big as this kitchen table.He likes the job. He is on salary, not hourly paid ( his cheque is about $700 a week).
They are not moving into trailers until Spring. Five trailers will be joined together to make an office. Four more students are hired to start in May.
It was hinted they will keep him on, but you never know every three months. They do fire people.
He is happy there.and he has to be evaluated.

That is what I learned yesterday.

EDIT. (Corrections)
I have just learned that my grandson has been assigned to another manager, one who likes to work long hours, and starts at seven this morning. Maybe he will be watching the arrival of the crane after all. I now learn that he will be moved around every two weeks from manager to manager to cover different aspects of construction.This project (which I will not name) started in 2014 and will end in 2021. oh, something else, technicians do estimating.not supervisory work in the hierarchy .
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 11th, 2018, 8:05 pm

The manager he now works for is a young architectural graduate.When my grandson goes out of the office he wears a white steel helmet.which means he is part of management, and he notices that people stare when he visits the job site. Electricians wear blue helmets, the excavators wear black and some others wear red helmets.
The Project Manager is in his fifties and is a Civil Engineer.He is from England and is very English.According to my grandson he only gets mad with Sub-Contractors! He attends meetings a lot.
He is happy where he works :grin:
There is enough of interest in his working life to make a movie called Management on the Job site. Where is Hollywood when you need them?
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 12th, 2018, 6:45 am

It certainly does sound interesting - and how hierarchical! I can't imagine grades of staff wearing different coloured hard hats in this country. Still all good clean fun and excellent experience for your grandson, Pondy. Good for him.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 12th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Lyn wrote:It certainly does sound interesting - and how hierarchical! I can't imagine grades of staff wearing different coloured hard hats in this country. Still all good clean fun and excellent experience for your grandson, Pondy. Good for him.

The boss who is an architect is only 29 years old.And they get along very well.The real boss , the English one is in his fifties.
He has been with the company twenty years.
I suppose on a very large construction site where there is lots of digging and people doing various jobs, such as electricians, you have to be able to readily identify them, and the colour of their hard hats is a quick way to do it.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 13th, 2018, 2:26 am

Now you've said that I can see the point.

Sounds like your grandchildren are doing very well and enjoying life, good on them. Hope their parents and uncle and aunt are also getting a lot out life. You do :-)!!! Which is great.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 13th, 2018, 9:59 am

I was at a health clinic at 7:30 am yesterday and it was already full of people.(it must open at 7:am) I had the usual blood tests to see if I am pre -diabetic or not.
What I noticed was the shabbiness of the way in which some people dressed. Very poorly.Not all of course. A few looked like they had slept the night on the street.
I concluded that there is a greater gap in incomes between ordinary folk than I realized.The good thing is all got medical attention. I waited two hours to be tested.I am not complaining, but I was the only one with grey hair. The rest were recently retired or working for a living.
I was disappointed to see so many poorly dressed patients.This is Canada one of the richest countries on Earth. (The USA is even richer and my impressions are that there are a greater percentage of poorer people there than in Canada) I wonder if Australia is better off than us in all of North America.?
I will leave off discussing Australia at present for lack of knowledge about it although I have visited the country once and took 11 airplane flights* altogether during that visit. I still didn't visit Perth.

I wonder if we have un acknowledged class distinction here in Canada. Lyn pointed this out when discussing the hierarchical nature of the engineering business where different coloured hard hats are worn to readily identify management from electricians and excavators.
In England you acknowledge class distinction exists and try to get of it, while in Canada it is just the opposite.(based on money and job prestige).We say we don't have it but we do!

* My wife says we took seven flights in Australia.I forget but it was a large number.

EDIT. In case you are wondering why anyone in his right mind would go a clinic for health tests by nurses at 7 am in the morning, let me reassure you we are not mad.It is my guess that most of the people there needed to fast for eight hours or more before getting tested.Otherwise , as it is a walk in clinic ,without it being necessary to get an appointment, they would walk in a 10 am! All who were present had (to my knowledge ) written requests for tests from their doctors.As this was a large private clinic with branches everywhere, a very few may have asked for private tests and paid for them.i believe 99 % of the people present paid nothing (if they had their government Health Card) It is all covered by OHIP.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 13th, 2018, 1:57 pm

To continue on in the same manner.I think hierarchical structure is inbuilt into human nature.We need it in business, Economics, and it is certainly in evidence in the Roman Catholic Church, and:now in Communist China where their leader has made himself leader for life.
In the animal kingdom, red foxes fight each other for supremacy , the winner gets the best places to eat and the best food.
Only Christianity of all the religions or philosophies I can think of believes in true God given rights.The equality of individuals meaning no individual has the right to abort, or murder another human being.All are judged in Christianity ,not on their wealth or power on this earth before God, but on their obedience to the laws of God.
Current day human rights , codiefied , legalised , would not exist if there were no Christianity to compare them with.And many human rights by government make a mockery of true God given human rights..When an individual sees this he must say it is better to obey God rather than man.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Sprocket » March 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I think I mentioned a few weeks ago buying an electric coffee percolator from a charity shop. It was excellent for a fortnight or so, but then I accidentally switched it on with no water in it, the ceramic body cracked, and thereafter it leaked badly, so I had to chuck it. I think it was from the 70s or 80s, judging by the style.
Anyway, I was rather taken with the idea of electric percolators, because they make real coffee without much fuss, and keep what's left hot for subsequent cups, so I decided to buy another - new, this time. I ordered this from Robert Dyas online, for £50, which isn't cheap, but was the cheapest for this model: other sites were offering it for up to twice as much. It arrived today, and I used it to make a flaskful of coffee for work, and a mugful for immediate drinking. Whoever designed it thinks everyone is right-handed, because the ready light is on the side so that it faces forward when the handle is on the right, but that's just a minor irritation (I'm a lefty). Like all modern electric kettles, it has a power base that it lifts off when you pour, so that it automatically switches off, and it has an automatic cut-out if you switch it on empty. So - no more crappy instant coffee! Percolators, stove-top or electric, are a bit old-fashioned nowadays, with these fancy coffee machines you can buy, but I like them.

Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox