Daily Chat

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Daily Chat

Postby Lyn » March 13th, 2018, 3:00 pm

That's a splendid percolator, Sprocks, even if quite dear - Dyas are expensive though*. I had a Russell Brand ceramic one once upon a time and a couple that went on top of stove.

Actually, on googling, they do seem to be expensive everywhere, even on Amazon. I saw one like yours for £53!

(PS Meant Russell Hobbs but thought I'd leave my mistake which is so typical of me.)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 14th, 2018, 10:46 am

When you talk about coffee percolators, are they the ones that percolate water from the top down, through a filter of coffee to the bottom of the glass container, or are they the ones that percolate water upwards from the bottom to a metal perforated container containing coffee?

I await your answer with fear and trepidation! :grin:
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 11:09 am

Water goes up, Pondy. Coffee is in a little 'cage' at the top. Percolators go "pop pop". I'm surprised you don't know, they were around & popular decades ago.

From Wiki:
A coffee percolator is a type of pot used for the brewing of coffee by continually cycling the boiling or nearly boiling brew through the grounds using gravity until the required strength is reached. Coffee percolators once enjoyed great popularity but were supplanted in the early 1970s by automatic drip coffee makers.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 14th, 2018, 11:50 am

Lyn wrote:Water goes up, Pondy. Coffee is in a little 'cage' at the top. Percolators go "pop pop". I'm surprised you don't know, they were around & popular decades ago.

From Wiki:
A coffee percolator is a type of pot used for the brewing of coffee by continually cycling the boiling or nearly boiling brew through the grounds using gravity until the required strength is reached. Coffee percolators once enjoyed great popularity but were supplanted in the early 1970s by automatic drip coffee makers.

Ours is called a 'drip percolator' and water percolates from the top going down into a glass container.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 11:52 am

That's not a percolator, it's a drip brew coffee maker. You can call it what you like though but if you google you'll see.
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Here in Spain and elsewhere on the Continent we use what are called cafeteras Italianas (ie. Italian coffee makers.)
https://www.adao.pt/files/products/6702 ... 1506573794

As in the diagram below, you put water into the pot at the base, then you put the metal filter into the pot and fill it with coffee grounds. Finally, you screw on the top part and put all onto a heat source. When the water boils, it moves up through the filter and fills the top part with hot coffee, which you then pour out. Simple!
http://mundodelcafe.es/wp-content/uploa ... _mocha.jpg
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 1:03 pm

They are very popular here too, Greg - funnily I've never had one but I do think they look very good and I know they brew well. Might buy one.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 14th, 2018, 2:00 pm

My daughter asked for ours a year or so ago. It was not being used.It was a Sunbeam given to us as a wedding present.
It is a gleaming chrome plated steel hyperbola body shaped coffee percolator. I can't find one exactly like it on the internet.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Like this? https://www.productreview.com.au/p/sunb ... ilter.html

I remember them being very popular in the 1980s, regularly given as wedding presents (I bought one for a cousin), and people bought them for offices. I have a feeling we had one for a while, don't know what happened to it.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 14th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Lyn wrote:Like this? https://www.productreview.com.au/p/sunb ... ilter.html

I remember them being very popular in the 1980s, regularly given as wedding presents (I bought one for a cousin), and people bought them for offices. I have a feeling we had one for a while, don't know what happened to it.

That is not the one we got for a wedding present back in 1965 Lyn. Ours at the time was definitely a percolator type, from the bottom up into a cage of coffee. Now of course we use a drip type like they use at McDonalds or Tim Hortons.
(As an aside to this topic I came across an old thread we had on Evolution, and a terrible exchange of views by Greenjack and myself , recently. We have certainly calmed down since those days!)
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox