Hedgehog

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Hedgehog

Postby Lyn » June 19th, 2017, 8:56 pm

I have a hedgehog in my garden! A huge one. I haven't seen one for many years.

Sitting here with the French doors open, I could hear something rustling, moving about, so I investigated and saw it. I put some cat food out for it, apparently they like that. Wondering if I should put some water out too in a shallow dish, or maybe they chew on plants for moisture. Well it won't hurt to give it some water, it's so hot.

I'm all excited about it, always wanted a garden hedgehog, flea ridden and smelly though they are so I'm told.

Never knew they grew so big though.

Edit: Just seen an advert for a programme about hedgehogs tomorrow with Steve Backshaw (think that's his name). Backshall actually! Programme called, "Meet the Hedgehogs". They're waking up apparently.
Well all I can say is I presume they 'wake up' every year and it's taken flipping long enough for one of them to find its way into my garden.

Found this info:
Put out food for hedgehogs in the garden and they will eat it

The hedgehog’s natural diet mainly consists of slugs, ground beetles, caterpillars and worms. During cold or dry periods, these creepy-crawlies become much scarcer in gardens, so hedgehogs will benefit hugely from a shallow dish of water and supplementary feeding.

Hedgehogs will relish any combination of the following:

Meat-based dog or cat food
Unsalted chopped or crushed peanuts
Sunflower hearts
Dried or fresh meal worms (in moderation)

So I did right to put out cat food and water.

Hope it is still around tomorrow (I can just imagine the dirty dish crawling with ants and bugs in the morning, yeuch).
Lyn

Re: Hedgehog

Postby gone » June 20th, 2017, 7:21 am

Hedgehog 1.jpg

Squashed hedgehogs on the road used to be a common sight now they are a rarity, although I have seen one or two lately.

I discovered the hedgehog in the photo a year or two back sitting on this stone, which resembles a hedgehog, just outside our front door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gone

Postby Lyn » June 20th, 2017, 9:06 am

Thank you Sj but I can't open the link! Says I do not have permission :( .

The food dish was licked clean this morning, might not have been the hedgehog who finished it off, foxes visit us. Doubt our cats ate it.

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing my little prickly friend again tonight. Yes I know, little things please little minds. I should give it a name if it sticks around, something gender neutral. Les? Bobby? Jude (Jude or Judith)?

I enthused to John on the telephone about it last night and he gave me all sorts of tips (which were quite wrong). He's looking forward to seeing it when he gets home.

He sees dead hedgehogs on the roads in Norfolk and I've seen them too when I've been up there and out in the country.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » June 21st, 2017, 11:01 pm

I fed the hedgehog (who is called Les) twice tonight! I didn't see it last night and thought maybe it had gone somewhere else though I put food and water out which was gone this morning. Tonight I put a cat food pouch down and shortly afterwards I heard Les shuffling along. He wolfed it down so I gave him another - Waitrose duck in gravy.

I'd like to see him more closely and be friendly but am hardly going to grab him, he'd be scared. Still it's nice to know he's around and will be looked after.

John watched, "Meet the Hedgehogs", I have yet to see it. He said it was really good. Yesterday up in Norfolk he saw a hedgehog crossing the road. They really are waking up.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » June 22nd, 2017, 12:02 am

I am sure Les appreciated the waitrose duck in gravy Lyn, I know I would.(although Les is not flea ridden and smelly - any hedgehog worth his prickles would be insulted at such a remark !).
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » June 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Thankfully Les is thick skinned Pondero :) , in any case I haven't got up close and personal with him so not noticed anything socially unacceptable about him so far.
I don't think you would like a pouch of Waitrose duck in gravy cat food, it looks like badly cooked school dinner. Les liked it, two pouches last night, which is what matters.

SJ your photograph is now showing, very charming.
Lyn

Postby gone » June 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am

Lyn wrote:Thankfully Les is thick skinned Pondero :) , in any case I haven't got up close and personal with him so not noticed anything socially unacceptable about him so far.
I don't think you would like a pouch of Waitrose duck in gravy cat food, it looks like badly cooked school dinner. Les liked it, two pouches last night, which is what matters.

SJ your photograph is now showing, very charming.

Thanks, sadly I think it was that hedgehog which was in a squashed heap on our road a few days later. :(
gone

Postby Lyn » June 23rd, 2017, 11:04 am

Les came around at about 1.30 this morning. I stayed up (not unusual for me) to see if he arrived but John came home yesterday evening and wanted to see him too. He of course fell asleep on the sofa! I woke him up and he shuffled over to the French doors to watch Les eat before going up to bed.

My goodness what an appetite that hedgehog has! Takes a long time, eating steadily. Two pouches (IAMS Senior chicken in gravy), then ran off. I put another pouch down, he came back and ate that too!

I wonder where he goes to sleep, the direction he went in before disappearing didn't look like an obvious place but if it suits him I don't need to worry.
Lyn

Postby GregB » June 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm

We all have the temptation to stroke small, cute animals, but clearly that would be a mistake in this case - except for Catholic ultras seeking some easy stigmata.

Careful with the extra food, Lyn, or we may have one of those 1950's monster B films on our punctured hands, "The Day of the Giant Hedgehog". :o
"Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." ("Traveller, there is no path, you make the path as you walk.")
- Antonio Machado (Spanish poet, 1875-1939.)
GregB

Postby Lyn » June 24th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Hee hee.
My little Leslie/Lesley was on form last night, charging about all over the place! They sure can run about! They go courting too so might see some babies eventually.

He/she could eat for England too.

My cats find it all interesting and then sit and wash themselves.

I'm going to get some cheap tinned dog or cat food especially for Les. Seems silly to give pouches all the time. I have one tin of Tesco cat food that's been on the shelf for ages but it is tuna and apparently you're not supposed to feed hedgehogs fish based cat food. They also eat crunched up 'cat biscuits' which I presume means dried food and things like Dreamies. I have plenty of IAMS, James Wellbeloved and Hill's Science plan so could mix up some of that with tinned stuff.

Specially compiled 'Hedgehog food' is also on sale in pet food places so if I go near one I'll have a look but, apparently, what I am currently doing for Les is perfectly fine.

Going out for late lunch tomorrow with son in honour of my husband's birthday (which is today, he's 68), any leftover meat I will put in a napkin and bring home for Les.

I probably sound daft but I am really happy about this little animal and so is John.
Lyn

Next

Return to Chatterbox