Hedgehog

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Hedgehog

Postby Lyn » August 14th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I think my hedgehog house has arrived, I have a note that a courier tried to deliver a parcel today and received no answer so people next door have it. Neighbours are out atm.
I'm quite excited! Might not be that though, could be car parts for John or something.

2148. Les is in his little house having dinner. His bum is sticking out, as he eats his way through the food (which I put on a piece of cardboard to keep house clean), a bit more of him disappears inside. There's also a sleeping compartment containing a hay-like bedding but I doubt he'll use that until later in the year. I put his dish of water next to the house to keep the dwelling dry, doesn't matter if the fox has a little drink but no way can he get his face indoors. So I no longer have to sit here for hours with the doors open in all weathers (though I am atm because I wanted to see Les arrive and try out his new home).
Lyn

Postby Lyn » August 16th, 2017, 9:40 am

Hmph! It appears the fox managed to pull Les's food (on bottom of an egg box) out of the house. Either that or Les pulled it out, both animals were out there. I ended up putting two lots of food down just in case my Les didn't get enough. There was a war going on in the back garden last night, loud fox noises and charging about in bushes plus squawking. I think the fox or foxes had caught a pigeon or crow, pigeons nest in one of my trees. Nature raw in tooth and claw.

Tonight I'll put the food in a shallow porcelain cat dish before putting it in Les's dining room, no-one will be able to pull that out through the entrance.

Edit: Change of plan. The fox has been wandering around my garden, scavenging, today. I don't blame him but am not going to intentionally feed him. I put some dried cat food (meat flavoured), in Les's house earlier on porcelain dish and saw the fox, twice ,stick his nozzle in there and have a mouthful. So now I've gone back to original plan and blue-tacked a piece of cardboard (in this instance, pizza box, laminate side down, small lips on bedding side, to keep house clean), a bit further into the house, put the remaining dried in there and hopefully the fox can't get into it. Tonight I will put wet food on top.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » August 16th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I went out just after 9pm to top up the dried food with a pouch and a bit of chicken I had in the fridge and, when I lifted the lid on the house, Les was already in there munching away! I might have guessed because my Tom had been sitting next to the house for a while, guarding it I suppose. Anyway, no luck for the fox tonight I'm pleased to say and I hope there isn't another hunt and massacre in the garden later on tonight. I could do with some peace! However there's no need for me to keep the doors open now.

Later: Just went out to take the feeding cardboard away (had to give it a good tug, the blue tac works!). All the food had gone and there was Les, asleep in the bedding! I'm so pleased.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » August 18th, 2017, 2:51 pm

No show from Les last night. When I got up this morning I checked the house and the food was still there, I had to throw it away :( .
Lyn

Postby Lyn » August 18th, 2017, 11:00 pm

I cooked a turkey crown tonight, had it in freezer for ages and thought it ought to be cooked so took it out yesterday to defrost. It was really good! I chopped up some nice white meat and mixed it with a turkey-in-jelly cat food pouch for Les. He trotted along to his house, entered and steadily ate his way through the food which was quite gratifying. I've removed the cardboard dish and am pleased to say he's having a nap in the bed. Don't know what happened to him last night (doubt he'll tell me :) ), maybe the garden war sounds of the night before put him off, who knows. I suppose he could have passed through during the night and just not fancied the food. No foxes tonight, they've given up.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » August 19th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I'm pleased to say that Les likes hedgehog food. I bought some on e-bay, seventeen individual little trays. Tonight I put the contents of one in a bowl and mixed it with a few bits of turkey and some dried (poultry flavoured) cat food. When I went out to put it in the house Les was sitting next to it so I picked him up to show him where to go - ouch!!!! I won't do that again in a hurry. He went into his house for a nap in his bed at the back so I left him alone but when I went out later, most of the food had gone. He'll come back later to finish it.
(I've given in and decided to feed the fox occasionally, can't bear his pleading face. When I was in the kitchen he was outside the back door with his nose pressed against the glass! Well he had some chicken and ham pie which I thought was horrible but John liked it and so did the fox. With potatoes, runner beans and gravy!)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 20th, 2017, 10:34 am

Lucky fox ..you had pity on him :)
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 21st, 2017, 4:32 pm

Not again. Last night Foxy managed to move Les's house while Les was in it! A Herculean fox as it is quite a solid, heavy little house. I didn't see it happen but John did and he shooed the fox away. I went out to look and Les was cowering behind the house, at least I think he was cowering. He wasn't in a ball. All the hay bedding had gone and the food.

I cleaned it out and put down some more food which Les eventually ate. I then put two house bricks (courtesy of my next door neighbour who has a pile of them left over from having his driveway paved. They are away atm but I'm sure they won't mind or even notice.), on the lid/roof.

Then fox came up to the back door and stared at me for ages through the glass. Well tough! There's plenty for him to eat elsewhere, we have woods and ponds down the road with ducks, rats, mice and squirrels; shops and restaurants who throw out food, he doesn't have to choose my garden.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 21st, 2017, 5:19 pm

Yesterday morning I saw Foxy as you call him walking across our driveway to the shelter of our big Colorado Blue Spruce tree. I was sat just outside the front door. The fox was red in colour ,looked like a dog, and was a bit disorderly, as if he had just woke up .He saw me sat there 15 feet away and comp!etely ignored my presence.I talked to him , but he continued walking towards the tree. That is the first red fox I have seen on our street all year.

The eclipse will start in about 80 minutes in Toronto.So far he sun is shining brightly through the blinds .This is the first solar eclipse to cross the U.S. in 99 years.(according to CBC TV).
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 21st, 2017, 5:22 pm

Sounds as though it will be beautiful Pondy.

Our foxes are all red too. I just chased my one away, noticed that a corner of the roof covering on Les's house is a bit mangled, I think last night the fox first of all tried to lift the lid.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox