Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Postby Pondero » October 3rd, 2017, 8:03 pm

I understand from my daughter that Roger Waters is English and a founder of the Pink Floyd group.
You know the one which has "we don't need no education" in one of it's lyrics.
Last night at the Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Mr.Waters started his concert at 8:15 pm and
he played his own music, intercepted with anti-Trump comments, Putin's name came up for comment too.
My daughter had excellent seats or a place to stand, I am not sure which as she has just left our house for a meeting without answering my questions.
There was a large blue floating pig above the audience which contained the face of President Trump
I think that is a bit too much of artistic licence. Mr.Waters who I don't think would be let in to the USA after such comments said he liked Canada because we didn't have nuclear weapons.
He played on until about 9 pm and then took a 15 minute break.Afterwards , he played the familiar Pink Floyd music until 11 pm when the concert ended.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Re: Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Postby Lyn » October 3rd, 2017, 9:56 pm

He's a great one for social comment.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 3rd, 2017, 10:06 pm

Lyn wrote:He's a great one for social comment.

Yeah, but what about the big balloon blue floating pig with Trump's face in the middle of it?
I doubt if he lives in LA, because if he does he maybe banned from America for the term of Trump's presidency. :grin:
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 3rd, 2017, 10:15 pm

Floating pig was a feature of the Pink Floyd show. I suppose if he was targeting Trump it seemed appropriate to put his face on it. Another time it could be someone else.
I am a Floyd fan but not particularly a fan of Roger Waters, nothing to do with his social and political comments, I just don't rate him that highly as an individual performer. My son likes him very much and goes to his concerts here if he is in the UK at the time. No accounting for taste :D .
Lyn

Postby GregB » October 4th, 2017, 7:13 am

I used to like Pink Floyd and their 70's albums are classics. Dave Gilmour is a brilliant guitarist and his solos are among the best in rock music. Not keen on Roger Waters as a performer, either, and I don't like his social and political comments. Why do celebrities feel the need to pontificate about everything, as if their opinions really matter? They should stick to what they're good at, be it music, acting or whatever.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby greenjack » February 14th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Not a massive fan but going to see him in Hyde Park in July with the family.
Hope it's a sunny day !
Cheers
GJ
greenjack

Postby Lyn » February 14th, 2018, 5:22 pm

I hope so too. Hyde Park concerts are such happy occasions and make beautiful memories. Lovely atmosphere and you meet different people. However you are right, you need good weather. Not much fun being cold and drenched. My son admires Roger Waters and has seen him here at the O2 and in the States.
Lyn

Return to Chatterbox