Hair today, gone tomorrow

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Postby GregB » January 19th, 2018, 6:01 pm

I've just read on a news site that Prince William has had a haircut on his already nearly bald head costing 180 pounds. That's to say not a styling - he had hardly much hair left anyway - but simply a basic clipping, nothing an electric razor couldn't have accomplished (and probably did) within five minutes, if that. I'll refrain from overtly derogatory comments for fear of another backlash, though I think the facts speak for themselves in that respect, except to wonder how many haircuts for ordinary folk 180 pounds might have provided.

Probably discounting his father now in the succession, he may be heir to the throne but he's certainly not the hair... :o
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Re: Hair today, gone tomorrow

Postby Lyn » January 19th, 2018, 6:57 pm

I don't know how anyone knew he paid £180, might not be true. He isn't going to visit a barber, they all have hairstylists who do their hair at home and wouldn't dream of revealing their fee, so I think it's untrue. Some press elements make things up if there's no news.

I recently read that a dress Meghan Markle wore for official engagement photos reputedly cost £78,000. Another report on same dress said £56,000. Nonsense. That was on MSN which I get when I log out of e-mail.

William has had a number one cut which suits him quite well and will last him a long time.

Edit: Just seen it again on MSN, taken from the Daily Mirror. The cut was '"reported to have cost £180" and it was done by a visiting stylist. Looking again, it's more of a No2 cut.

You'd be surprised what people do pay for haircuts sometimes and if they have a lot of other stuff done (which most women and some men usually do), colour, straighteners, blow dry, etc, it can cost a bomb! Depends where you live. People I worked with used to pay a fortune in London! Hairstylists near me charge a lot but I have someone who cuts mine when needed and blows it dry for £20 plus whatever tip I give, usually a tenner. That's 'mates rates', she charges £40 for a cut to everyone else. She cuts my son's hair, that's how I know her, goes to his house, so do I and we both have our hair done. She doesn't charge him anything because he does a lot of IT work for her free.

Reminds me, I'm overdue for a cut, fringe in my eyes.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 20th, 2018, 2:14 pm

My wife just told me that when she has her hair coloured, cut and styled she pays $120, and gives no tip.I go to a barber shop for a number 4 cut, and pay $15 and give a $5 tip. They seem to like that.My son pays more , I forget how much more at a barber shop outside Toronto.

Mary's hairdresser used to work for Arthur, a prestigious hairdresser before he retired, she is Korean.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby GregB » January 21st, 2018, 9:35 am

I only go for a haircut every now and then, letting it grow fairly long first (still have a full head of hair at 70.) There's a Pakistani hairdresser's not far from where we live and he only charges ten euros (about nine pounds currently.) Other hairdressers in the vicinity charge around twenty to thirty euros.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » January 21st, 2018, 11:55 am

Yeah, my ol' man doesn't pay much, he goes to an old fashioned barbers.

My hair really, badly, needs a cut, I'll have to see to it this week.

Found this on MSN when I logged out of e-mail:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... ailsignout

These media people must think we're stupid to believe the rubbish they put out. When it's about royals or anyone rich they do to cause outrage amongst the resentful!
Things I've read include:
the Duchess of Cambridge really has silver grey hair under the colouring and the Queen doesn't allow potatoes (or pasta or rice) to be served at dinner.

Some people believe it.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 10:42 am

I put the clippers over my husband's hair and mine once a week. I don't charge him for my services! :lol:
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 10:50 am

Sounds very sexy Sj. My husband always wanted to shave my legs when we were younger but I always did it routinely every morning in bath or shower. I might remind him and give him a treat.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 11:34 am

Lyn wrote:Sounds very sexy Sj. My husband always wanted to shave my legs when we were younger but I always did it routinely every morning in bath or shower. I might remind him and give him a treat.

Sorry I don't get that, what is sexy about clipping my husband's hair? If my husband had wanted to shave my legs he would have been told where to go in no uncertain terms. :shock:
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 12:00 pm

:D I understand that, I could always do mine perfectly, was amazingly smooth and didn't want any interference. If he'd done it he would probably have cut me! Though, iirc, he wanted to use his electric razor. I'm happy with a wet shave.

Before we were married, I wanted to watch John shave. When I did I was extremely moved by it, it was an emotional and sensual experience! Seems funny to me now, couldn't give a monkey's.

As I get older, I need to shave less often :? .

Well here is Prince William debunking the £180 haircut (not that I believed it anyway) : https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... ar-AAuXnNw
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 4:41 pm

However much dosh you have, surely no one in their right mind would pay £180 for a haircut?
sarniajoy

Next

Return to Chatterbox