Your experience of life?

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Your experience of life?

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

I have put this on the other forum but thought I would put it on here too.

As I have mentioned before I was born in the Channel Island of Guernsey in January 1950, my home had been occupied by 13 Germans during WW2. The remnants of the war were all around our house and property for most of my childhood. Health and safety was not a concept during those years , it is a miracle my daft escapades didn't kill me.

Religion of the Biblical literalist kind was a large part of my childhood, which I could have well done without.

My father had a horticultural business, from the age of about 8 years old my younger sisters and I were expected to help out if any of the staff didn't up. We were expected to work hard and do a good job, it could be very hard physical labour.

At the age of 5 I could drive the small blue caterpillar tractor used for harrowing one of our fields, a task I enjoyed doing all by myself. The exhaust pipe ran along one side at the top near the seat. It was very hot and one could be badly burned if one touched it. I was expected to be careful, as young as I was.

I learned to drive my father's large car at the age of 12 it was fun driving it around our property. Heaven help me though if I had crashed it, I would have been in the deepest proverbial. Not that I was any stranger to that I was always getting thrashed for something or other!

Whilst I did play with other children, mostly boys, being tom boy myself, I enjoyed being on my own, doing my own thing. I have always liked reading, but on a summer's day my mother would I insist I went out to play. She wouldn't have been quite so keen though if she knew the dangerous things I got up to!

I started school at the age of 4 years old, the elementary school I attended was not for the fainthearted. The beatings some of the children from poverty stricken homes received administered by the head teacher were appalling. He would be serving a long prison sentence today for cruelty! :shock:

The Ladies College I attended at 11 was a bit like Hogwarts. :lol:

I left school at 17 and worked as a receptionist/pharmacist in the GP practice where one of my uncles was a doctor. I was given the task of putting together people's medication, heaven help them. I hope I didn't kill anyone!

At 18 I started my nursing training in Bristol, not my choice, but my father insisted I did it. I gave it nine months before kicking it into touch.

At 19 I married my English husband, and moved to the UK. We produced three birth daughters, adopted two boys with learning difficulties and fostered another. We moved around the UK whilst my husband, an academic, was working and getting promoted on a regular basis.

I home schooled our youngest son who has Down' Syndrome. The school inspectors seemed pleased with the job I was doing.

I have met many interesting people in my life, quite a number who are well known like politicians, actors, writers, singers etc.

I enjoy my hobbies, my artwork, writing and poetry. I have done quite a lot of public speaking over the years too.

I still manage to get myself into crazy life threatening situations from time to time, much to the despair of my children!

I am now my husband's carer after half his brain was trashed when an aneurysm burst in 2006. Not a fun task I must admit. He doesn't think he needs a carer and rarely listens to my advice on the subject of his health. HEY HO!

Still life goes on and I have to make the best of it.

I would be interested to know the experiences of others.
sarniajoy

Re: Your experience of life?

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 12:49 pm

I was born, went to school (several), ran away from home (several times), grew up, had adventures, had horrible experiences, met John, got married, had child, had interesting jobs and some boring, went to lots of concerts and films, got older, still alive which is a miracle.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 22nd, 2018, 1:13 pm

I was born in a house built In the 1,600s on Church Lane, West Ardsley, which was condemned and pulled down in 1939.We moved to a new council house, in East Ardsley. ( three bedrooms, garden , back, front ,side ,with some privet hedges.).Dad volunteered for the army, West Yorkshire regiment, then as a sergeant into training paratrooper recruits from Scotland in C company, 2nd Battalion , Parachute regiment.Took part in the Brunevald raid, Feb 1942, captured in North Africa. We grew up, brother and I and went to the local grammar school. Mother worked weaving two looms in Morley.I was a sickly child with a heart murmur, diagnosed during National service as Patent ductus arteriosus.I could swim, but not play rugger at school, doctors orders.
I left school at 16 with a NUJMB school certificate. National service nearly killed me.I looked like a Belson horror victim after six months of Army training in the Royal Signals at Catterick Camp.I had an operation to close the ductus at Leeds General Infirmary Infirmary in 1952 by Mr Alison (later Nuffield Professor of Surgery at Oxford U.).
My father became Roman Catholic after returning from the war and I became interested in that religion. In 1953 I became a convert to Roman Catholicism. After Mum and Dads separation became a divorce, my younger brother got married and I left to start a new life in Canada,knowing no one. That was June 1957.
I did various jobs at first, finally joining the department of National Revenue .(31 years and seven months service) I am a CPA, CMA, and BA degree holder.
Last edited by Pondero on January 22nd, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

When I first glanced at your post Pondy I thought you were saying you were born in 1600! :D
You're a clever bloke, done well.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 22nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Lyn wrote:When I first glanced at your post Pondy I thought you were saying you were born in 1600! :D
You're a clever bloke, done well.

:grin: I have changed that to make it more readable.

" I remember, I remember, the house where I was born,
The little window where the sun came peeping in at morn."

Thomas Hood.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Return to Chatterbox