Scotch

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: Scotch

Postby Sprocket » January 29th, 2018, 10:13 pm

According to legend, Dylan Thomas's last words were "I've had 18 straight whiskies - I think that's the record". He was found dead in his New York hotel room next day. There is some doubt about whether he said it, but no doubt about his drinking 18 whiskies - he certainly didn't. He'd've been unconscious long before he got to 18. As a friend of mine once put it, "How did he keep count after the first three or four?".
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 29th, 2018, 10:19 pm

That is a sobering thought, no pun intended. Since I had my relationship with whisky three or four or even five years ago, just the thought of it makes me feel sick. I sailed dangerously close to the wind. I'm fortunate there was no lasting damage and now have no idea why I did it, just glad I stopped before it was too late.

Now I stick to a couple of glasses of wine occasionally at weekends, a brandy at night with a lemon and honey drink if I have a cold and sloe gin for a treat.

Come and play games oh Sprocket.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 29th, 2018, 11:26 pm

I rarely drink the stuff, or Canadian Club Premium Whiskey. Every year on our way to Florida we stop just before crossing the Ambassador bridge at a duty free store where we get whiskey of one kind or another. We are allowed three litres between us. When we return to Canada we store it at home. I have so much liquor at home I don't know what to do with it. It accumulated over the years. It was supposed to be for guests at our house, but although offered them they never touch it. They drink wine or beer instead. I still have a full bottle of Glenffidich Scotch left from our trip to England and Scotland in 2011.
I think we should stop buying the stuff, duty free or not.

I remember from the distant past a union AGM for scientists in Ottawa and as a visitor to their rooms in the hotel they proudly showed me their bar containing every type of imaginable liquor. They also appeared sober to me.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby GregB » January 30th, 2018, 8:43 am

Pondero wrote: I have so much liquor at home I don't know what to do with it. It accumulated over the years...I still have a full bottle of Glenffidich Scotch left from our trip to England and Scotland in 2011.

I'll PM you my mail address. :D (Just joking! :cry: )

I'm very fond of whisky and seem to have a hard head in that respect. I can down several glasses (probably equivalent to double imperial measures) and not appear inebriated at all, not to mention barely having a hangover. I also like vodka (especially Absolut), which is even kinder on the system being a clear spirit. Here, booze is relatively cheap (the tax on it is derisory); for example, a bottle of Ballantine whisky - my favourite brand - costs around 16 euros (about 13 pounds) in most supermarkets. Single malts, such as Glenfiddich, are more expensive, around 25 euros (about 22 pounds.) Absolut vodka is also around 16 euros.

Fanciful as it may sound, scientists have actually determined that there is a gene which disposes one, if not necessarily deterministically, towards alcohol and which is almost exclusively found in the male genetic complex. That's interesting because my (late) Uncle William and I are the only ones in the family with a fondness for alcohol; the women on that side of the family - my mother, aunts, female cousins - hardly touched the stuff beyond the typical glass of sherry or two at Christmas. (My father never had a taste for alcohol; a couple of pints of bitter was his limit.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Pondero » January 30th, 2018, 10:45 am

Thank God for some humour on the net. The two cupboards above the fridge are full of whiskey, and port and sherry and other drinks and the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet upstairs is crammed with the stuff. I think I will try to acquire a taste for it when I get home.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » January 30th, 2018, 11:49 am

Re. lack of hangover, as mentioned by Greg: I read somewhere that a lucky approx. 10% of the population are more or less immune to hangovers. Maybe Greg is one of them, as am I: I don't drink heavily nowadays, but in my youth I sometimes got rat-arsed, but the next morning, the worst I suffered was slight dizziness, a nuisance but nothing more, and a mouth like a sumo-wrestler's jock-strap, which was cured by the first cup of tea, and in fact served to make the tea even more enjoyable. I talked to God on the big white telephone a few times at parties, but that was at the time, not next morning. I've never suffered the headache, photophobia, sensitivity to sound (if there's a one-word sound equivalent to "photophobia", neither I nor Google know it), etc. which are supposed to characterise a full-scale hangover.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Previous

Return to Chatterbox