'Weird' or 'wierd'?

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

'Weird' or 'wierd'?

Postby GregB » February 2nd, 2018, 8:29 am

Lyn put in this post on the games thread concerning the 'ie' or 'ei' spelling rule:
I just came across this in my nocturnal meanderings:

http://yankovic.org/blog/2009/04/01/oxf ... -of-weird/

I'm gutted, always thought "Wierd", was spelled, "Weird".

I responded with this:

I'm not convinced, at least until I have more confirmation of the supposed decision by the OED committee (I haven't found any other reports concerning that so far.) The accepted spelling, 'weird', goes back as far as Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' in which the three witches are also referred to as 'the Weird Sisters' (good name for a pop group!) and has never been questioned, as far as I know. The article in that link has an air of tongue-in-cheek, confirmed by the fact that 'height' is obviously not going to be respelt as 'hite' whereas 'ghoti' as 'fish' is a long-standing deliberate parody of the inconsistencies of English spelling and pronunciation (see the link below.)

I'm going to continue spelling 'weird' in the usual way until I lay on my funeral bier (or should that be 'beir' - or even 'beer? :scratch: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Re: 'Weird' or 'wierd'?

Postby sarniajoy » February 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am

GregB wrote:Lyn put in this post on the games thread concerning the 'ie' or 'ei' spelling rule:
I just came across this in my nocturnal meanderings:

http://yankovic.org/blog/2009/04/01/oxf ... -of-weird/

I'm gutted, always thought "Wierd", was spelled, "Weird".

I responded with this:

I'm not convinced, at least until I have more confirmation of the supposed decision by the OED committee (I haven't found any other reports concerning that so far.) The accepted spelling, 'weird', goes back as far as Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' in which the three witches are also referred to as 'the Weird Sisters' (good name for a pop group!) and has never been questioned, as far as I know. The article in that link has an air of tongue-in-cheek, confirmed by the fact that 'height' is obviously not going to be respelt as 'hite' whereas 'ghoti' as 'fish' is a long-standing deliberate parody of the inconsistencies of English spelling and pronunciation (see the link below.)

I'm going to continue spelling 'weird' in the usual way until I lay on my funeral bier (or should that be 'beir' - or even 'beer? :scratch: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

I always spell weird this way and my spellcheck likes it, so does the dictionary.
sarniajoy

Postby Sprocket » February 2nd, 2018, 9:47 am

It is "weird". Lyn's link was a spoof, because a lot of people do spell it "wierd"
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 10:26 am

I am OVER THE MOON! Thank you all so much.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » February 2nd, 2018, 11:16 am

Lyn wrote:I am OVER THE MOON! Thank you all so much.

Why?
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » February 2nd, 2018, 11:46 am

There was a rule I learned at school that the word was always spelled i before e except after c. That works out in the case of the word "receive" , but not in the case of "height". So currently there are no hard and fast rules for spelling "wierd.'
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am

Sarniajoy wrote:
Lyn wrote:I am OVER THE MOON! Thank you all so much.

Why?

Because I've always spelled it, "Weird", as have you, and it seems we are correct. The site I linked to is a spoof!

Pondero wrote:There was a rule I learned at school that the word was always spelled i before e except after c. That works out in the case of the word "receive" , but not in the case of "height". So currently there are no hard and fast rules for spelling "wierd.'

Weird is spelled "Weird", Pondy, and the "I before e except after C" rule is frequently incorrect. There's a thread about it on 'Funny Business'.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

There are more English words which break the rule than keep it, according to QI.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 12:11 pm

That's true.
Unlike Pondy, I was never taught that 'I before e' business at school, just heard it from people.
I've never used a spellcheck on a computer yet. Sometimes a red line appears under a word - as it did with 'Pondy' above (& again now), but if it's not a typo, I work it out for myself so as not to be totally lazy. Occasionally the red line appears because I've put an English rather than American spelling and I ignore that.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

I don't get red lines on here, but I do on Facebook. Weird!
Sprocket

Next

Return to Chatterbox