Did the earth move for you?

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Did the earth move for you?

Postby Sprocket » February 17th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Re: Did the earth move for you?

Postby GregB » February 17th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Didn't feel a thing down here in Barcelona, where the earthquakes are all political at the moment. If it had occurred in Dylan Thomas's time, he would have probably gone on the wagon straight away, at least for twenty four hours, and written in the first throes of DT's:
"Do not go gentle into that dark quake,
Give up the bleddy booze, boyo, for Evan's sake..."
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Sprocket » February 18th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Very droll. However, Thomas spoke with a fruity Oxbridghe accent, not a Welsh one.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » February 18th, 2018, 5:06 pm

True, though I gave him a stage Welsh accent for the sake of the joke. Of course, he never actually went to either Oxford or Cambridge university so he presumably developed his plummy actorly style of speech off his own bat, perhaps not least as he wasn't keen on his Welsh origins*. And talking of drollness, there's something of that in the title of his stage work, 'Under Milk Wood', given that he probably never drank a single glass of milk in his booze-sodden life.

Another Welsh joke. A theatre director was looking for an actor to play the leading part in a play about Welsh people. Eventually, he found the right man and was able to declare, "The Dai is cast!".

[*Perhaps reflected in the name he gave to the Welsh village in 'Under Milk Wood', Llareggub, which is 'bugger all' backwards.]
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 18th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Just been listening to him on youtube reading: 'Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night'. Very sombre.

No the earth did not move for me whenever the earthquake was, it didn't touch the London area. Knowing me, had it been on my doorstep I'd have not noticed or slept through it as I did the 1987 hurricane.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 18th, 2018, 7:09 pm

GregB wrote:
Another Welsh joke. A theatre director was looking for an actor to play the leading part in a play about Welsh people. Eventually, he found the right man and was able to declare, "The Dai is cast!".
To which the cast replied, "thank Evans for that!".
His coolness towards Wales is reflected in his answer to what his opinion of Welsh Nationalism was. "I can express my opinion of Welsh nationalism in three words, two of which are 'Welsh Nationalism'."
When 'Under Milk Wood' was first published, the pubishers insisted on spelling the village "Llaregyb", for fear that maiden aunts from Tonypandy to Aberystwyth would realise what it spelled backwards, and have a fit of the vapours. Sir Terry Pratchett pinched the idea for his 'Llamedos' in the Discworld books, and this holiday cottage owner pinched that from him.
Sprocket

Return to Chatterbox