Amazon Kindle

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Amazon Kindle

Postby brenda » February 15th, 2011, 10:24 am

Has anyone tried e-readers such as this? I am wondering whether it is worth buying one. They cost £111 but you can buy downloads much cheaper than you pay for hard copies and there are lots of books free or for about 70p. It is said that people soon get to prefer this method of reading though there are some niggles, most of all that you can only read Amazon books on it whereas other e-readers use other sources and one reads e-books from the library. I do have my favourite books I would not part with and for bible study it is probably better to have study aids in hard copy but I am thinking how wonderful not to have to have books cluttering the place up that I only want to read once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Uby0Ka ... re=related
brenda

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Liz » February 15th, 2011, 11:24 am

Matt has a Kindle which I've used. It is easy to read and genuinely doesn't hurt your eyes (like other screens which shine light out), but therefore does mean that you need an external source of light in order to read it.

So far, I've only read free books (I was working my way through Sherlock Holmes), but Matt has bought quite a few programming books for it. He also uses it to read articles and pdfs that he has downloaded from the internet. Atm, I still prefer real books, but I can see the advantage of tidier bookshelves and non-achey arms when reading big books!
Liz

Postby brenda » February 15th, 2011, 11:32 am

Thanks Liz here is some more information on other e-readers as well.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/amazon-kindle-dx ... 72985.html
brenda

Postby Pondero » February 15th, 2011, 11:44 am

I prefer to read books, not just once but twice over in rare cases. Also, I maintain control, as I own them, and am not dependent on my location when I want to read, such as on a plane or bus. But most importantly Apple or Amazon have control over what you read, and I don't like that. If all you have is a tablet size computer and something goes wrong with it or you run out of power or the location of a wi-fi, you are out of luck.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Liz » February 15th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Hi Pondy, Can you elaborate on your post please? Why do you think you can't read a kindle (yes there are other e-readers, but this is the one I have experience of) on a bus? You do have to be in a wifi spot to download the books, but once they're on the kindle, you can read them wherever you want. And the battery life is *really* long, because once the page is up (or screensaver) it doesn't really draw any power, until the image changes again. And having an e-reader, doesn't prevent you from reading books too. :D

My main problem is that many books aren't available on the kindle yet, and some that are are only marginally cheaper than the paper version, so I think I maight as well get a real book. And I love books. When I'm rich, and get to design my own house (yeah right!), I'd also have a library, so I can have those step-ladders, attached to rails, to slide around the bookcases - like you see on the movies.

Having said all that. Matt's got an android phone, with a Kindle app, so all the books he has on his kindle, he also has on his phone - leaving the kindle free. Maybe, after the 3 books I currently have on the go, I should nick his kindle and see if he notices. :mrgreen:
Liz

Postby Poncho » February 15th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I won't use a kindle because of the inability to recycle books - a vast section of our population relies on books being 'handed on' in order to read.
That aside, a friend has just headed off to Antarctica for two months, and I suspect she had a big grin on her face when she did, as all her planned reading was downloaded before she left, and she just had to pack the kindle. Usually she's fairly restricted on reading matter. The other benefit is the weight of it. My mother is currently battling to hold some of the heavier books I read (large print books also a problem), and the kindle sorts that out. And there is also the ability to adjust the size of the text on it, which would be useful to some people.
Poncho

Postby brenda » February 15th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I will still buy books if I do purchase a Kindle. Both are useful for differing reasons. For me it will be excellent to get hold of books in a format that will make it easy for me to read, that is to say resting in bed with a Kindle in my hand. Also when I go back to Germany tomove my stuff it will be excellent to have some new books to read thart won`t take up any space. I think that e-readers are wonderful for elderly and disabled people. Herearesome of the titles available as far as Christian books are concerned and I see that Wright`s books are not to bad a price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/ ... s_kinc_nav
brenda

Postby Pondero » February 16th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Liz wrote:Hi Pondy, Can you elaborate on your post please? Why do you think you can't read a kindle (yes there are other e-readers, but this is the one I have experience of) on a bus? You do have to be in a wifi spot to download the books, but once they're on the kindle, you can read them wherever you want. And the battery life is *really* long, because once the page is up (or screensaver) it doesn't really draw any power, until the image changes again. And having an e-reader, doesn't prevent you from reading books too. :D

I was wrong to say that Liz. Of course there is a memory in the Kindle, I was forgetting that. The first time I saw anyone using something like a Kindle or maybe it was a Kindle, it was about 9" x 6" x .75" in dimension was on a plane from Budapest to London, last October, and I thought ( wrongly, I suppose, now that I know..that it was old fashioned technology!)
Anyway, you asked me a question so I am responding, even though my modem is being powered by 19VDC 3.4 amps, when it requires 12VDC, 500ma. so I am risking messing up my electronics - never mind - Bell Tel is supposed to send me a new modem with proper cables to arrive on the 17th .

I don't travel by bus but by subway, very occasionally, and on the line from Royal York station to downtown Toronto it is standing room only, usually, so you couldn't read a Kindle if you wanted to. My old school pal Ron who lives in Fleckney uses a bus pass, he said in a Christmas letter I read two days ago!! but is not going "to join the computer elite" . He doesn't have a computer at all.
And I am trying to get away from using the computer as much as I did in the past.It is affecting whatever functioning brain cells I have left, adversely.
According to a University Professor, this generation " seems to be increasingly incapable of abstract thought." ( yesterday in a National Post article) . I do believe that texting and computer use contributes to this phenomenon. The article was about the speech of American university students such as "Whoa, that is so wow"

The quotation in full from the article by Clark Whelton reads as follows:

I recently watched a television program in which a woman described a baby squirrel that she had found in her yard. "And he was like, you know, 'Hellooo, what are you looking at?' and stuff, and I'm like, you know, 'Can I,like, pick you up?,' and he goes, like, 'Brrrp.brrrp,brrrp,' and I'm like, you know, 'Whoa, that is so wow!'" She rambled on, speaking in self-quotations, sound effects and other vocabulary substitutes, punctuating her sentences with facial tics and lateral eye shifts. All the while , however, she never said anything specific about her encounter with the squirrel.

Where is Bev? she likes picking up squirrels. Although she doesn't talk like that!
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 2nd, 2011, 5:31 am

I am coming around to the idea of a Kindle. It would help the de-cluttering!
Lyn

Postby brenda » March 7th, 2011, 8:24 pm

I`ve decidedto go for it and ordered mine yesterday. Here are the Christian books you can download

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/ ... s_kinc_nav

I like the idea of using it for Bible reading especially when you are away from home. I am taking it with me to Berlin in 3 weeks when I go to pack up my belongings andmove them over here. I really like the thought of having the Kindle for the journey.
brenda

Next

Return to Book club