Amazon Kindle

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Lyn » March 7th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I have decided to have a kindle but not yet. Though it is small and will obviously help with the decluttering I do not want anything else brought into the house until the decluttering is complete and I have worked out which books to keep and which to discard. So I am thinking of Christmas! My son has sold me on the idea of the kindle, having found it invaluable whilst travelling this year, he has read a few books on it and also accesses the internet. Either he or husband can buy me one at Christmas or birthday at the end of year.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » March 8th, 2011, 10:20 am

Think I'll stick with books. They don't need a battery, for one thing, and I find some of them at least aesthetically pleasing, for another.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby brenda » March 8th, 2011, 11:20 am

It`s probably best to concentrate on getting your work done then Vix as I hear that the Kindle becomes addictive as it is very easy on the eyes and the page turner makes the experience so pleasant with of course the free books on offer. It runs for ages - about 30 days I think, without a battery charge as the screne is not lit. I am pretty excited now and can`t wait till Thursday but there will still be occasions when I will read a book, and reread the many books I already have - it`s not an either or. To have it for Bible study groups and for the very cheap commentaries on offer makes it worthwhile for me though at the same time I will still use my books for some Bible study. You can access e-mails on it too which is a bonus whilst travelling. The only doubt I had is that being a fast reader, I might get fed up with flicking the page as it is not the full page you see. There is a larger model which shows that, but it is of course going to take up much more space when travelling so I decided on the smaller one.
brenda

Postby Lyn » March 8th, 2011, 11:59 am

Yes, there are pros and cons. I too find books aesthetically pleasing but I have too many. I think a lot of them will not be in good condition any more, having been stored in boxes in the garage. I will always have books because I like them. I'll let you know around Christmas time whether or not I have taken the plunge.
Lyn

Postby brenda » March 8th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Yippee! it arrived early - good old Amazon. It is now beside me charging but as you don`t have to leave it till the battery is full, I might be having a go before too long. It looks pretty straightforward. It feels good in the hand; very lightweight and comfortable. I do love the sensation of opening a new book and being able to make notes, but what I do not like is having books around that I only read once but do not want to part with. I don`t like reading books on the computer, I prefer to read in bed so that is what I will be doing this evening. Yes! I hope having the Kindle will stop my compulsion of collecting books as I have too many as well.
brenda

Postby Liz » March 8th, 2011, 2:26 pm

About turning the page too often, you can easily change the size of the text, so if you are a fast reader with good eyesight you can always put more words on the page. I'm a fast reader, but the 'page turns' are so quick that by the time I'd raised my eyes from the bottom of the kindle to the top, I could start reading again without noticing a break, itms.

But, there is no such thing as too many books... I just don't have a big enough house, that's all. :D
Liz

Postby brenda » March 8th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Thanks Liz, I have got it up and running and trying to download. I see what you mean and don`t think I will have any problems.It`s great.

ps O I do have a problem - I get

Safe::Root):::PI::AWOBS::String=HASH(Oxc45aff7c)

after 5 pages of looking at books
brenda

Postby Bev » March 8th, 2011, 7:12 pm

All the best on your Kindle, Brenda. I did find out not too long ago that I can download the Kindle function to my Mac. I did, and I've downloaded a couple of free books. Being a computer, reading a long book this way will not be as comfortable as holding something smaller, book size. But, it's a good way to download searchable text, which I like the idea of very much.

On the squirrel, Pondero, the one who approached me seemed to be trying to put his defensive self forward all the while showing a desperation to trust me. It was really endearing, especially when he finally resigned his puffed-up self and crawled willingly into the palm of my hand.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » March 8th, 2011, 11:40 pm

That is a sweet description, Bev.

I'm rather fond of gadgetry myself. I'd get a kindle if there weren't higher priority matters in my life such as a washing machine that spins and a non-leaky roof. I don't know anyone who owns one but might go into a shop and ask to see them - maybe one day.....
I'm not in the habit anyway of buying books except from second hand but the older free ones would keep me busy for some time. Sadly, second hand book may become rarer, but it seems people are more mobile and less inclined to clutter, so books will make their way to the second hand stores for a while yet.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby different glory » March 9th, 2011, 5:05 am

the squirrel... who approached me seemed to be trying to put his defensive self forward all the while showing a desperation to trust me. It was really endearing, especially when he finally resigned his puffed-up self and crawled willingly into the palm of my hand.

What a great picture of the soul's approach to God! :D
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

PreviousNext

Return to Book club