Amazon Kindle

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2011, 8:30 am

I buy most of my books second hand SP and, thinking about the kindle, the cost of downloading the books was something I wondered about. If I buy a book on ebay or Amazon I can often get it for under two pounds, especially if I don't mind it being a big dog-eared. Charity shops vary, Heart Foundation being the most expensive, but the two down the road to me, which are in aid of local charities, sell their books very cheaply indeed, they are always in good nick and good supply. So how much does it cost to download a book from Amazon onto a kindle? I know they have some free books.

Also, as others have said, I won't be able to pass the book on to someone else. At the moment the charity shops do quite well out of me with regard to books.

Bev, I was interested that you can download kindle onto your computer. I wonder if I am able to do that onto my laptop - which is quite small, I'm using it now in bed. It would be a good way of trying it out before buying.
Lyn

Postby brenda » March 9th, 2011, 9:19 am

I read the whole of Adrian Plass` latest book last night on my Kindle and I must say I am smitten - not with him though he is very funny but with the Kindle. I felt that it very much enhanced the reading experience and I was able to get through the book even faster than usual due to no time wasted turning pages or reajusting the book, or losing track of the text or generally getting distracted. It seemed so much easier to get totally engrossed and a much more pleasant experience in all. I prefer it.

I worked it all out pretty quickly and I am not that computer savvy. It was simplicity itself to order, and I ordered one by mistake and it was easily cancelled. In all I ordered 4 books one a Bible. The costs are very low, £2.99 for the Bible and a lot of books are 70p which is cheaper than second hand. The Adrian Plass one was more (£5) as it is a new book and they are more but still cheaper than hard copies. You don`t pay for downloading that is free, you just pay for the book. Someprices are amazing like some commentaries. Matthew Henry`s is about £3 or £4.

As there is WiFi here I can access the web on it but you can order by computer if you don`t have WiFi or get one which does though they cost a bit more. Othwise you can order from any WiFi point.

ps I have no financial interest in the Amazon Kindle. :D
brenda

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2011, 9:35 am

The prices sound quite reasonable Brenda.
Lyn

Postby sally » March 9th, 2011, 1:24 pm

I saw one in pc world which was running a demo so you couldn't change it. There was a very annoying flash every time the screen changed, which would put me off completely. Does it do that in actual use? Think it was as the screen flicked off and then on.

Sally
sally

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby brenda » March 9th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Yes but it does not bother me now and I don`t even notice - my eyes must just bank it out. It`s only a slight `flash`.
brenda

Postby maz » March 9th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Liz wrote:
But, there is no such thing as too many books... I just don't have a big enough house, that's all. :D

same here :lol:
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby maz » March 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm

brenda wrote:I read the whole of Adrian Plass` latest book last night on my Kindle and I must say I am smitten - not with him though he is very funny but with the Kindle.

I read back on the thread to see if you had mentioned which Adrian Plass book it was, but couldn't see

is it comfortable reading in bed with a Kindle?
I always try to get paperbacks as they're lighter for reading in bed than hardbacks
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
maz

Postby brenda » March 9th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Seriously Funny by Adrian Plass and Jeff Lucas

Very comfortable. I have problems with my hands due to hypothyroidism and the Kindle is a great help. The only thing is that you need a light as the screen is not lit.
brenda

Postby maz » March 9th, 2011, 3:21 pm

thanks for the info about the kindle
I think I've read that one if it's the one he co-authored with Jeff someone
maz

Postby Bev » March 9th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:Bev, I was interested that you can download kindle onto your computer. I wonder if I am able to do that onto my laptop - which is quite small, I'm using it now in bed. It would be a good way of trying it out before buying.

Not sure, but it's worth a try. I was browsing books on Amazon (a great way to buy cheap, second-hand books, btw), and I saw an offer to download "Kindle for Mac." So, I tried it. The page looks very clear, and the print is clear and quite readable (in answer to your question, Sally.)

Brenda, I wasn't aware the Kindle downloads from other sites. Which site do you download from?

(Thanks, DG. :hug: )
Bev

PreviousNext

Return to Book club