Amazon Kindle

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Sweet Peace » June 21st, 2011, 8:05 am

I downloaded the free kindle app for pc today and ordered a dozen free books. So far, so good, with reading on the computer.
Google -kindle app for pc.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Poncho » November 16th, 2011, 8:18 am

I succumbed. I wanted a set of 12 books, and realised that space is becoming a real issue as far as my books are concerned. I recycle the novels, but the reference books stay firmly on my shelves.

The lack of eye-strain is wonderful, the weight of the device is wonderful, the ease with which I can buy books (and hence spend money) is perhaps not so wonderful! ;)
Poncho

Postby Sweet Peace » November 16th, 2011, 11:24 am

:D Enjoy!
Two free books I liked on Kindle are The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund and Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin. The second one, about Kings Ahaz and Hezekiah is part of a 5 book series, Chronicles of the Kings. It appears Kindle make a habit of giving away the first of a series in order to suck you in - in this case well worth it. :thumbsup:
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby maz » April 21st, 2015, 5:35 pm

I have got an Amazon Kindle Fire!! :mrgreen:
only the 6'' inch one - 7'' one much more expensive.
Dave got it for me at Christmas (well asked me to choose something like it - which I did gladly, and excitedly - not used to spending much on technology).
It's invaluable - for many reasons.
Haven't bought a book since - as we have run out of room in our bookcases (which was a major reason for needing a Kindle - or Kobo), and there are so many free ones - not that I can read much lately - but this also has the function to watch/catch up with TV (nice to be able to do that in bed when my body is aching and tired), and has camera/photos and internet and other stuff.
Daniel has given me his Netflix password too, so have watched a few good films on it.
Could watch on the Living Room 32" TV (which I bought for Dave a few years ago)/You View box - but we are not using the living room much :(
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby Sprocket » April 21st, 2015, 9:28 pm

Welcome back!
I prefer proper books, but each to their own. If I was given an e-reader, I'd use it, and when I was in hospital last year, I read a couple of Wodehouse novels on my computer, which isn't quite as sophisticated as an e-reader.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Previous

Return to Book club