Conrad Black

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Conrad Black

Postby Pondero » January 19th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Conrad Black, a Britsh Lord, has a couple of months to go before he is released from prison near Miami,Florida and then he will be deported to the UK.He can't get his Canadian passport back and diplomatic gestures much earlier failed when he communicated with a Canadian bureaucrat. This bureaucrat went to school with him in Toronto's Upper Canada College (like Eton in England) and bore Conrad a grudge because of what happened there.
I have nearly finished reading the book about him entitled.Tilted,the Trials of Conrad Black, by Steven Skurka, a fascinating account of the man and the American justice system.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Re: Conrad Black

Postby Pondero » January 19th, 2012, 4:21 pm

There are a few things wrong with the American justice system which do not occur in Canada. Our system
is more fair to the defendant. Things are tilted on the side of the prosecution in the USA, which encourages unjust pleading of guilty by the accused, that is known as plea bargaining.One example of the unfairness of the American trial is that in summation the prosecution speaks, then the defence speaks and, once more, the prosecution is allowed (in the USA) to make a final address to the jury.
In the Conrad Black trial, the non-compete payments ought to have been called management fees according to Kipnis who heard it from Radler. Being called non-compete payments was done in the hope of avoiding Canadian corporate income taxes (according to the book). Kipnis the innocent St,Mark as the jury called him, said to Radler, Why don't you just pay the taxes.(and why not: they received enough income!) Radler remained silent.Kipnis , an honest decent American, would never have been convicted of anything in a Canadian court. Now Mr.Kipnis who used to practice law,works with his son in a sign shop eking out a living.
There is much more to this trial than what I have written about here.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » October 27th, 2012, 10:29 am

Time to resurrect this thread as Conrad Black is making news again,this time in England. .I saw the tv interview of him on the BBC, and I can understand why he said he wanted to punch the interviewer on the nose. Whoever he was "Jeremy" someone or other, he was very rude to this British Lord from The Bridle Path street in Toronto.
I have his book(not the new one he is promoting) in front of me.It is called "A Matter of Principle ".As it is a financial history book of nearly 600 pages, I make no apologies for getting bogged down in it on page 271.I will finish it eventually.
I believe Conrad Black would not have been convicted of anything at all in Canada or England and that the American criminal justice system is a disgrace.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 27th, 2012, 1:14 pm

I expect Jeremy Paxman was the interviewer, Pondy. He is known for his abrasive style. Conrad Black was all over last Sunday's paper, front page and all. I thought of you.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 27th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:I expect Jeremy Paxman was the interviewer, Pondy. He is known for his abrasive style. Conrad Black was all over last Sunday's paper, front page and all. I thought of you.

Yes, I happen to admire Conrad. I don't think Paxman minds the publicity this interview got him, as it enhances his standing and BBC ratings would go up.Conrad Black took it in his stride.
I notice you are a year older than when I last looked, sorry that I missed your birthday Victoria.
Right now I am drinking orange pekoe tea grown and produced by Porto Formoso in Sao Miguel of the Azores, delicious!
Which reminds me I now have time today, because it is raining, to put on the Web my photos of the Azores.First I must finish the housework.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Sprocket » October 29th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Just watched 'Have I got a bit more news for you', which had Black as one of the guests, partnering Paul Merton. He certainly took the many cracks about fraud made by the others in very good part. I certainly don't admire him, unlike Pondy, but I must admit to quite liking the thieving old bastard. His worst crime was being proprietor of the 'Torygraph'.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » October 30th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Sprocket wrote:Just watched 'Have I got a bit more news for you', which had Black as one of the guests, partnering Paul Merton. He certainly took the many cracks about fraud made by the others in very good part. I certainly don't admire him, unlike Pondy, but I must admit to quite liking the thieving old bastard. His worst crime was being proprietor of the 'Torygraph'.

Well, he deliberately exposed himself to abuse Sprocket in order to sell his new book, in my view.He would never have been convicted of anything if tried in Canada.The book may be the one I am wading through,"A Matter of Principle". No one says which book it is Black is promoting.
You must admit Sprocket, if you listened to the Paxman debate that Conrad is a master of the English language.No one else, alive today in Canada can write like him. He can run rings around anyone here in debate too.
He was expelled from one private school, I believe it was our most famous one. Upper Canada College, Toronto. I think he tried to sell the answer papers to some schoolboy exam :roll: He showed business acumen at an early age.
He became a lawyer in Quebec,bought small town newspapers, and so forth. His first wife ran off with a Catholic priest.(That is not in his book.) He became Catholic at some point, and although he does disagree with the Church's position on same sex marriage, he is then by definition a Cafeteria Catholic.In other words not a true Catholic.He doesn't go around broadcasting it though. I came across that information, unexpectedly, and it shocked me.
He has a valid set of moral principles which he adheres to, and is no snob, even though he is proud of being a British Lord.He was denied his Canadian citizenship because of that, by a mean spirited Prime Minister of Canada, Mr.Chretien.Now, some mean spirited Canadians wish to take away his Order of Canada.
While in jail in Florida,he taught prisoners,American history and other subjects, and they graduated. Conrad Black's criticism of the American justice system , would strike a resonant note amongst those still in jail at Coleman Corrective Institution,Florida (not too far from Bev :grin: ). But, it just happens to be the truth.
John Lennox
Pondero

Return to Book club