Game for International Book Week

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Game for International Book Week

Postby Bev » September 24th, 2012, 4:37 pm

deleted in the spirit of friendship and goodwill. :)
Last edited by Bev on September 25th, 2012, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bev

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Like hell I will. And I stand by this, which you have conveniently wriggled out of and not commented on:
I have never posted anything at all negative about him before now - just the opposite. He has had a loyal, interested, sympathetic following here which, in the end, he's just ignored, and I really don't like that.

I think it's reasonable to be angry about such indifference to overt, warm friendliness.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Bev » September 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

deleted
Last edited by Bev on September 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bev

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 4:54 pm

What disagreement? You haven't made any comment at all on the point I made and which I repeated in my last post. Maybe I'm boringly old-fashioned but in my code when people offer the hand of friendship and encouragement, you don't just spurn it.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Bev » September 24th, 2012, 5:00 pm

deleted
Last edited by Bev on September 25th, 2012, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bev

Postby Lyn » September 24th, 2012, 5:18 pm

I thought it was about Shakespeare but would never have guessed the book.

I too am disappointed that Bruce hasn't posted on here since he climbed Kilimanjaro. A lot of us were rooting for him and I assumed he had just eased off on internet posting (sensible), but instead he is posting on that thing Facebook. He's not a flipping kid. Of course it is up to him where he posts but frankly I am surprised that he never came back here, even once. I've often thought of him.

Greg, I do remember you saying how irresponsible he was to undertake the climb, given his age and the fact that he has a young family, however those who accompany people like Bruce on the trip make sure they do not put themselves in danger, they are medically supervised. Plus he was doing the task for juvenile diabetes research, something close to his heart as one of his children has the condition. I don't remember you saying much else to him or about him but you say so much to people that one sentence runs into another and I don't keep tabs.

Bev told us about Bruce's Kilimanjaro success and I assumed, as she had met him and his family when they visited the States, he had 'phoned her or talked to her on Skype. It's very disappointing that he couldn't be bothered to visit St Thad's once where he had so many supporters. Mind you, he would now find a very depleted St Thad's. I've said for a long time that we frighten some people away but am being kind when I say "we".

Bev I don't think the sections of this thread should be deleted; Greg often deletes things he has said and those who saw it are supposed to forget. Leave it as it is.
Lyn

Postby Bev » September 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:
I too am disappointed that Bruce hasn't posted on here since he climbed Kilimanjaro. A lot of us were rooting for him and I assumed he had just eased off on internet posting (sensible), but instead he is posting on that thing Facebook. He's not a flipping kid. Of course it is up to him where he posts but frankly I am surprised that he never came back here, even once.

He's never said anything to me, but I can well imagine he has not come back to post here because he did not feel welcome. Anyway, enough said about that from this end.
Bev

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm

I don't feel spurned at all, and I would consider myself a close friend.

Naturally - after all, he was a guest in your house...
I would be surprised if anyone here shares your sentiment--just as you've expressed it, which was very mean and uncalled for, Greg.

Maybe, maybe not. All I really want to know, however, before this subject is closed is whether you think Bruce should have continued posting here after his Kilimanjaro exploit or not, even for a little while, and if only to express thanks for people's support (including financial) of his effort. Also, before he stopped posting, he said that he was having a crisis of faith and was rethinking his approach to Christianity and he asked us to pray for him. I think he might have followed that up, just a little.

Sally will probably delete these posts. Fair enough; I just wanted to make my feelings clear about something you raised yourself.

Edit: Just seen Vix's post. I think she expresses in a more gentle, less truculent way the frustration many of us felt at Bruce's 'desertion'. As you all know, I'm a gloves off guy...
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 5:32 pm

He's never said anything to me, but I can well imagine he has not come back to post here because he did not feel welcome

On the contrary, he was made very welcome, Bev and no one even ridiculed his (frankly absurd) witchcraft beliefs. Moreover, when he had some kind of domestic financial crisis and problems with his kids, he was flooded with sympathy and advice. So, no, that's not the angle at all.
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Palaeologus » September 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm

GregB wrote:Does it have to be restricted to an Orthodox saint or an Orthodox sinner? (And did St. Silouan really have such a conflictive youth or baneful influence on his fellows?)

Of course not, but it's quite likely in the circumstances, and i seem to remember having read this sentence myself, fairly recently.

St Silouan accuses himself of youthful dissipation, in much the same way as practically every saint whose reflections I ever read. In his case debauchery extended even to visiting taverns and playing the accordian (or it may have been the balalaika). He mentions one incident involving aggressiveness or casual cruelty, the details of which I can't remember; naturally he recoils from it with a heartfelt compunction that wouldn't ever disturb a genuinely dissolute person.
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

PreviousNext

Return to Book club