Game for International Book Week

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Game for International Book Week

Postby Bev » September 26th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Sprocket wrote:Give us the Afrikaans one - could be interesting!

:good:
Bev

Postby Poncho » October 4th, 2012, 10:28 am

A bit beyond the book week, but new warehouse goes live in around 10 minutes... so 10 minutes of breathing available!

"Hy sê hulle moet met hul hande werk, leer van die lewe deur die grond, deur sweet en bloed."
Poncho

Postby Lyn » October 7th, 2012, 8:07 am

I can't read Afrikaans, or Dutch, but it looks like someone said people should work with their hands, tilling the soil and sweat blood. I have visions of hand ploughing.
Now the question is who said it and in what book? Clue (& is there an English translation)?
I doubt it was Nelson because he writes in English. The only South African writer I can think off is Stuart Cloete and that is from years ago.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » October 7th, 2012, 8:40 am

Odd fact that I learned from 'Mother Tongue' by Bill Bryson: there's an area of North-West Germany, near the border with Denmark, where the local German dialect is surprisingly close to English. Bryson says that, to English ears, it sounds like a very thick regional English dialect, almost but not quite understandable, and occasionally you hear the odd phrase which is understandable to English-speakers, such as "Vat is de clock?". weird!
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Poncho » October 8th, 2012, 11:17 am

Very close, Vix... He says they must work with their hands, learn about life from the ground, through sweat and blood.
The book is 'Die twee lewens van Dieter Ondracek' (The two lives of Dieter Ondracek) by André Krüger - debut novel, so not one you're likely to know about at all!
From the publishers' site:
Railway engineer Dieter Ondracek becomes Gerhard Weber after he flees the ruins of Nazi Germany. In South Africa, two things bring promise of a new beginning: his job at the railways, where he is once again surrounded by his beloved ”flame beasts”, and little Kietie and her mother Magda, his neighbours.
But when his former SS colleague Kurt Wolff arrives, with threats and rumours about ODESSA and Sabine, Dieter/Gerhard realises that his past has come back to haunt him.
Poncho

Postby Lyn » October 10th, 2012, 9:15 pm

It sounds like a very good book, I hope it is translated into English.
Lyn

Previous

Return to Book club