Game for International Book Week

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Game for International Book Week

Postby GregB » September 23rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

Victoria Plum wrote:"This will not be achieved without considerable practice, so we must for some weeks be content with the legs being parallel with our body."

Perhaps from 'A Hundred Things You Need To Know About Being A Zombie?' (This one explains the preparatory steps before accomplishing the true art of 'dead walking' staggering and lurching.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Serenjen » September 23rd, 2012, 5:57 pm

Solve two simultaneous linear equations by Gaussian elimination.

(I think this is the fifth sentence, the 'sentences' above are 15 and 7 lines long respectively :o )
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Sprocket » September 23rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

Serenjen wrote:Solve two simultaneous linear equations by Gaussian elimination.

(I think this is the fifth sentence, the 'sentences' above are 15 and 7 lines long respectively :o )

Not my kinda book - I'm hazy about what linear equations are, and I've no idea what Gaussian elimination is. I bet Pondy knows!
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Theophilus » September 23rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

"This was how my life was spent, and these were the activities of myself and my friends who had been deceived through me and with me."

---I think I remember you mentioning you've read this book before, Sprocket, though you didn't particularly enjoy it.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Serenjen » September 23rd, 2012, 7:12 pm

Sprocket wrote:Not my kinda book - I'm hazy about what linear equations are, and I've no idea what Gaussian elimination is. I bet Pondy knows!

To be fair, it's a text book. However, the next nearest non-text book had something about dodecahedrons on page 52, so there's clearly no hope for me.

OK, so you have different types of equations, probably you remember quadratic equations from school? In those you have a term like x squared.

A linear equation doesn't have any of these squared terms or anything in it. All the x, y's and z's are all just in that form.

So this is a linear equation: 2x + 3y + 7z +3 = 0

With the Gaussian stuff, you might have a whole load of these, and you have use some mathematical jiggery-pokery (Gaussian Elimination) to work out the terms. Most times it's pretty straightforward, quite logical. But sometimes the numbers go a bit mental.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » September 24th, 2012, 1:03 am

Yes but the book is not something most people would have handy. It sounds like a book written by an engineer, a current text book maybe. So I don't know but I imagine the question would be asked by many mathematicians.

My one, above, to which Greg responded so wittily, was "Everyday Yoga for Christians" by Eric W. Hayden, which I bought in a charity shop on a whim and it has sat on the coffee table ever since. I just grabbed it for the purpose of this game.

Theo's - I am guessing it is from someone who has written an autobiography, maybe a famous Christian. Off the top of my head I am thinking Thomas Merton, 'The Seven Storey Mountain'.
Lyn

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 6:50 am

Vix wrote:
Theo's - I am guessing it is from someone who has written an autobiography, maybe a famous Christian. Off the top of my head I am thinking Thomas Merton, 'The Seven Storey Mountain'.

Or it could be the 'Confessions' of St. Augustine, who led a fairly dissolute youth.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Palaeologus » September 24th, 2012, 7:06 am

Sprocket wrote:Over on Facebook, some guitar-twanging nutcase called Ben Donald promoted a daft idea that's gone viral.

I think it was prolly viral before I caught it, via a Greek American prof I used to get drunk with several decades ago. We're both very respectable now (I suspect she always was, on the quiet).

My nearest ATM would be different from the one on FB, coz I'm in a different room. Come to think of it, it's likely to be Niall Fergusson's 'War of the World', but I'm not in a position to check. I'll leave you to guess which room I'm in.
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

Postby Palaeologus » September 24th, 2012, 7:14 am

No, here it is:

"I can well believe it - they are female Jesuits".

Nobody will ever get this one.
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

Postby Sprocket » September 24th, 2012, 7:59 am

Theo's must be Augustine's 'Confessions', which I did indeed say, a while back, that I'd started but given up on.
No idea about Pal's. Female Jesuits, eh? Geraldine Womanly Hopkins, maybe?
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

PreviousNext

Return to Book club