Is Science Fiction literature?

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Is Science Fiction literature?

Postby different glory » November 1st, 2012, 11:21 am

And going on to Sprocket's post above:

I take it that you are asking implicitly for a definition of science-fiction? And ruling out futurist fiction or alternative-reality fiction as being necessarily science-fiction? I guess then that science-fiction would be defined as "fiction which relies on changes in or new understandings of science to drive the plot or necessary scenario"?

But then wouldn't Brave New World fit? -- because the necessary scenario, driving the plot, relies on new birth technologies. Not so sure about 1984, though the spying technology is fundamental. On the other hand -- I don't think I'd call Brave New World great literature.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Bev » November 1st, 2012, 1:03 pm

Three authors I've read that would rank, imo: Ursala K. Laguin, Mary Shelley, and Margaret Atwood. Although, I only know Shelley for her Frankenstein, and Atwood for her Handmaid's Tale, Laguin is a prolific writer of both novels and short stories that, of the ones I've read, human struggle are often framed by the strains that exists between morality, religion, and survival.
Bev

Postby Poncho » December 10th, 2012, 11:11 am

LOTR is about my limit of sci-fi, but I could have told you the name of the pilot who crossed the channel - my scotties are named after female pilots, as I got my first in the week I flew solo for the first time, and my current scottie was a toss-up between Harriet (Quimbie - the female in question) or Phoebe (Omlie). Phoebe won.
Poncho

Previous

Return to Book club