Open a Virtual Bookshop and Support Real Ones!

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Open a Virtual Bookshop and Support Real Ones!

Postby Sprocket » May 8th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Here's mine. Not much in it yet, but I've only just started stocking it.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Open a Virtual Bookshop and Support Real Ones!

Postby Sweet Peace » May 9th, 2014, 9:12 am

Looks like a good idea. Do you get any money yourself from it? There's no point to having monopolies such as Amazon.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Sprocket » May 9th, 2014, 9:36 am

No, I don't make money. The "bookshop" is just to advertise books I like to other people. You can ask for recommendations from other people who like the same genres as you. Actually, I haven't fully explored it myself - I'm not absolutely sure how it works yet.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » May 9th, 2014, 10:04 am

Looks good Steve.
Lyn

Postby GregB » May 10th, 2014, 6:43 am

It seems like a good idea, though presumably it won't have wide dissemination unless it's vigorously promoted. I assume the secondary information ('trending' books, etc.) is from existing sources. I couldn't mount such a thing myself as my grasp of computer techniques is rudimentary.
Sweet Peace wrote:Looks like a good idea. Do you get any money yourself from it? There's no point to having monopolies such as Amazon.

Amazon doesn't have any kind of monopoly; there are other retailers of books online, though Amazon is certainly the biggest. Moreover, they always offer alternative suppliers for every book they tout and they are always cheaper, often considerably so (eg. I've just ordered a new biography of the writer Stefan Zweig for less than half the price set by Amazon itself - and its own prices are usually cheaper than the official retail price.)
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Lyn » May 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I'm all for supporting our local bookshops which is what I presume Sprocket is doing. Unfortunately I no longer have a book shop within walking distance (there was one when we first moved here, aeons ago), Waterstones is the nearest, plus WHS of course but both entail a bit of travelling, albeit one bus ride.

Having noted SP's comment about Amazon, I too wondered about them having a monopoly, of which I was unaware. Greg has gone on to say that Amazon do not have a monopoly on book sales (neither do they just sell books), which is what I thought. I am happy to buy books on Amazon and on ebay, they are both cheaper than book shops and second hand are cheaper than charity shops. Surely that is a good thing?
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » May 10th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Another major online bookseller is abebooks.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » May 10th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Sprocket wrote:Another major online bookseller is abebooks.

I've ordered books from them via Amazon. That's the beauty of Amazon - they give you access to all these booksellers. Many of my books have come through The Book Depository in the UK, always with generous discount, as well as other suppliers whose names escape me now.
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby different glory » July 3rd, 2014, 1:31 am

Terrific idea, Steve, and in honour of it, I will go into a real bookshop, and buy a real book this very weekend! :grin: And a new book, too, which is rarity for me!

Ooohh... choices! :confused: that Herbert book looks good. But there's a new book by someone called Pickerty causing much talk about economics. But then again, there's some children's books I'd like to catch up on....

(And if Amazon aren't a monopoly, they are trying really hard to become one! They own abebooks already.)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sprocket » July 3rd, 2014, 6:37 am

Damn! I thought Abebooks were a good alternative to Amazon.
Sprocket

Next

Return to Book club