Margaret Atwood

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Margaret Atwood

Postby Pondero » August 13th, 2014, 9:43 pm

It is a bit late for that, Victoria. The email has been on its way for about an hour. Of course, he could be asleep by now, as he is in no Madeira.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 13th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Well never mind Pondy. He'll be relaxed in Madeira anyway. I was just thinking how freaked out I was at times about things I had to read at school, not in the same way of course but some things were so horrible I really didn't want to know. I remember 'The Handmaid's Tale' as compelling but quite scary. Far from erotic.

I just copied this post from a book forum:
"Did anyone else see The Handmaid's Tale movie? I was overwhelmed with just how much was changed from the book version. I understand completely that in making a movie based on a book, some details will be changed to better accommodate the new medium, but I felt in this case much of it was unnecessary. I wonder how much, if any, input Margaret had on the script of the production of the movie. Or maybe even her thoughts on the result?

It's such a wonderful story, though."

Well now we know the film of the book was different to the book.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » August 14th, 2014, 1:02 am

His actual words Victoria

I just read the book. Didn't see the movie.

So there you have it.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » August 14th, 2014, 11:24 am

Well I feel sorry for him having a book on the curriculum that made him feel creepy but at least it's over now.
Lyn

Previous

Return to Book club