Does anyone know the name of this novel?

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Does anyone know the name of this novel?

Postby Sprocket » November 18th, 2014, 12:17 pm

This is a long shot, but there's no harm in trying.
I came across it in a bookshop some years ago, but didn't buy it, and now I've forgotten the title and author, but I'd like to get hold of it if possible. It's a very thick book, an alternative-history novel, in which Europe was almost entirely depopulated by the Antonine plague in the second century (which really happened, but in this version of history was much more serious). Centuries later, Muslim explorers start exploring Europe, and it is gradually repopulated, but is Muslim instead of Christian. There's a map in it, and if I remember correctly, the British Isles were called the Keltic Caliphate. If anyone knows which book it is, I'd be very grateful for the information.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Does anyone know the name of this novel?

Postby Theophilus » November 19th, 2014, 11:43 pm

It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sprocket » November 20th, 2014, 8:20 am

That's the one - thanks! For some reason, I thought it was the Antonine plague, not the Black Death. I've bookmarked that page, and will buy it.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » November 24th, 2014, 2:21 pm

So will I! It looks really interesting. Thanks Theo. I googled all sorts of things regarding novels about Antontine plague and subsequent Muslim explorers but found nothing. Well done.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » December 11th, 2014, 10:58 am

I ordered it, and it arrived the other day. I've started reading it. The point of departure from real history is not the black death itself, which devastated Europe in 1347-1350, but a second emoergence of it at the end of the 14th centruy, which killed 99% of Europe's population. Book one is set a few years later, and follows the travels and adventures of a Mongol, Bold, a member of Timur's (Tamurlane's) army, through depopulated Eastern Europe. including Athens where he wanders through the Acropolis temples, until he is captured by Turkish slave traders and ends up in China, as a slave but in a rather cushy job in a restaurant. It's good so far. Timur, and later Zheng He, admiral of the Chinese treasure fleet, are two characters from real history who appear in the book. Presumably there aren't any in later books, set centuries later.
Sprocket

Return to Book club