Mockingbird II

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Mockingbird II

Postby GregB » February 4th, 2015, 8:31 am

Good news on the literary front - a novel written sixty years ago by the author of 'To Kill A Mockingbird', Harper Lee, has come to light and will soon be published. It's a kind of sequel to the famous novel, though with flashbacks which formed the basis of her one published work. The 'new' one is clearly set to be a best seller and, undoubtedly, a film will be made of it, just as one was made of the first novel, with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. (Casting the sequel will be interesting.)
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31118355

Quiz question:
Harper Lee never wrote another book and became a virtual recluse. Which other American author with just one famous book (though some other stories were written soon afterwards) also became a publicity-shunning recluse?
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

Re: Mockingbird II

Postby different glory » February 4th, 2015, 10:02 am

That's an easy one - Margaret Mitchell. :)

TGAM is a very deftly written and appealing (and convincing) novel. It'll be interesting to see how the sequel shapes.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Theophilus » February 4th, 2015, 10:39 am

GregB wrote:Quiz question:
Harper Lee never wrote another book and became a virtual recluse. Which other American author with just one famous book (though some other stories were written soon afterwards) also became a publicity-shunning recluse?

J.D. Salinger?
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Pondero » February 5th, 2015, 12:03 am

Theophilus wrote:
GregB wrote:Quiz question:

J.D. Salinger?

I remember the book, Catcher on the Rye which my children had to read in school,. I never read it.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » February 5th, 2015, 10:32 am

Yes, I was thinking of J.D. Salinger who wrote 'Catcher In The Rye', and then a few short stories, before becoming a recluse who wrote nothing else. On DG's post, I hadn't thought of Margaret Mitchell, though she fits the bill too.

Thomas Pynchon was unproductive for quite a long spell after his first two blockbusters but he made a comeback.
GregB

Postby Bev » February 6th, 2015, 5:14 pm

I'm curious to read it if only to see just how well (or not) she has written the book after a sixty year hiatus.
Bev

Postby GregB » February 6th, 2015, 5:35 pm

She wrote the book sixty years ago, Bev, before 'Mockingbird' in fact (see the link in my OP), so one assumes the standard of the writing is akin to that of 'Mockingbird'.
GregB

Postby Bev » February 6th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I see. The way I heard it on the news, I was under the impression she had written it more recently, but I was likely half listening. :D I'm looking forward to reading it.
Bev

Postby Lyn » March 9th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Probably not the only novelist to have written one book (someone mentioned Margaret Mitchell). Harper Lee based her novel on her father. I look forward to reading the next novel, though not written by her but in her mode.
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 9th, 2015, 9:30 pm

:scratch: What are you talking about? Harper Lee wrote both novels, 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'Go Set A Watchman', though the latter was never published and has only recently come to light. (See the OP and link.)
GregB

Next

Return to Book club