New foods

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

New foods

Postby different glory » May 20th, 2016, 8:45 am

Or to to the consumer/poster, at any rate. This past week, I came across a whole new vegetable - new to me,though known to most of the rest of the world, I gather! Mồng tơi, known by many other names, but botanically basella alba.

I must have eaten it many times before without knowing, in soups and things, because it's a common poor person's vegetable here, but I guess this time (last Friday lunch - I was being taken to lunch by the office) I must have been lacking iron, because at the very first mouthful, I could feel my body leap awake, recognising that there was iron present - and very eager for it! (I much miss silver beet, which doesn't grow here.) So it's my new favourite vegetable - and spanokopitas will eventuate this weekend! :yahoo:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: New foods

Postby Pondero » May 23rd, 2016, 11:12 pm

New or rare for us tonight is fillet mignon cooked for three minutes each side on the BQQ outdoors.
At a temperaturef 400 degrees F. It is after all Victoria Day in honour of Queen Victoria, a time of fireworks at night and a holiday -no banks open, or liquor stores or most shops- on this day of celebration in honour of our late good Queen Victoria. Normally we do burgers on the BQQ. Today, we had fried onions , green peppers, fried rice and steamed chopped carrots. All mixed in except for the rice and fillet mignon.
Verdict, delicious. As usual on those holiday occasions when we indulge.All drank down with Cabernet Sauvignon by Bonterra, a strong red 14% alcohol organic wine made I'm California.
My daughter Anne Carol ( a promising writer) joined us, all other family members were absent .some working elsewhere.
Our CN tower is all lit up in royal purple and gold, lights in honour of Her Majesty..
Oh! Anne made gluten free, walnut banana loaf. That too was delicious
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Re: New foods

Postby Pondero » May 24th, 2016, 11:13 am

If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Return to Food talk