What are you cooking for dinner?

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: What are you cooking for dinner?

Postby Bev » August 9th, 2010, 2:38 am

No, I didn't add the egg yolk, as I read it is optional, but I will try it. I have black rice, actually, the real thing, which is very good, a nuttier version of long-grain, white rice. Does the squid ink also provide flavor?

The sauce made from sauteed onion also sounds so delicious. Definitely going to try that one soon. (But, not with any Gulf seafood, that's for sure! I heard the way the FDA is screening for toxins is by "sniffing," literally people trained to smell petroleum in the seafood. No one has said anything about whether they can sniff out the dispersant that was used to breakup the crude oil, which could be even more toxic. :shock: )
Bev

Postby GregB » August 9th, 2010, 7:55 am

The thing about the egg yolk in alioli, Bev, is that it gives it that creamy consistency. If you only use two or three cloves of garlic (more makes it perhaps too strong, though it keeps the vampires away :D ) and a fair quantity of olive oil, the mixture can be a bit on the thin side.

No, the ink in Black Rice doesn't alter the flavour - it seems to be flavourless in itself. The tomato/onion sauce is always used as the base for paella and other rice dishes here, even for stews and the like. The onion has to be chopped into small pieces, of course, and the tomato should be from fresh tomatoes and reduced to a purée form with a grater. As for Gulf seafood, you could use that in preparing Black Rice by using normal white rice and without the ink - the seafood alone would provide the right colour... :lol:
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Bev » August 10th, 2010, 1:55 am

:D (Can't find the hurling emoticon. :x )
Bev

Postby maz » April 26th, 2011, 10:53 am

suggestions for meals for a semi-vegan son who doesn't eat cooked vegetables :shock: needed
[I am so sick of trying to make tasty meals with Quorn, although am improving]
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby brenda » April 26th, 2011, 11:27 am

This is the sort of eating I am doing at the moment minus gluten.

A good standby is to cook a bag of black or aduki beans then mush with a bit of the water left adding some oil and a spicy pepper sauce from a bottle. Keep in the fridge for snacks eg on corn chips with salsa, in a wrap with salad etc.

Green beans cooked al dent then add crushed garlic, a good swish of oil and loads of green Tabasco sauce is good with salads. A big bowl can be picked at later.

Loads of bean caseroles.

Big pan of home made baked beans. Lasts for days.

Chile con carne with protoveg or other soy mince with kidney beans tinned toms plus garlic and onions chili and green peper.

Soy mince with mash on the top.

Nut loaf with ground brazil nuts, chopped and sauteed onion and celery and breadcrumbs with a little sage. Cook in oven and slice.

Stir fries with tofu and a few veg.

Chinese fried rice with egg.
brenda

Postby maz » April 26th, 2011, 11:39 am

brenda wrote: Chile con carne with protoveg or other soy mince with kidney beans tinned toms plus garlic and onions chili and green peper. I will have a think of some more.

I've made him chilli or bolognaise with Quorn mince, but he doesn't really like the Quorn imitation beef - he likes the Quorn imitation chicken pieces...but I have tried to get him to accept it [I dislike both :-? ]
Soy mince with mash on the top.
he is so fussy he won't eat potatoes or mash
am limited to pasta and rice and noodles and bread

Stir fries with tofu and a few veg.
yes, do a lot of stir fries for him, with noodles - no veg though, although sometimes do raw veg, like peppers on a separate plate...
it's all so time consuming of course..as am cooking for 4 others at the moment [5 in our house, temporarily, while daughter and b/f find a place to live]

Chinese fried rice with egg.
yes, he likes that - it's hit and miss if I get it right though - it may be because I buy/prefer basmati rice and it's more tender than ordinary long grain..
have found it works ok doing it in the microwave with cooked rice, and the egg/soy sauce stirred through

I do him lentil curry and rice sometimes, as we all like that
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby brenda » April 26th, 2011, 12:19 pm

I've made him chilli or bolognaise with Quorn mince, but he doesn't really like the Quorn imitation beef - he likes the Quorn imitation chicken pieces...but I have tried to get him to accept it [I dislike both :-? ]

No this is soy mince which is totally different.
brenda

Postby brenda » April 26th, 2011, 1:09 pm

He should just go raw vegan then no more cooking :D

Smoothies and raw veg juices with salads avocados nuts and fruit.
brenda

Postby different glory » May 25th, 2011, 1:26 am

Cooked for dinner last night -- a very simple cream of chestnut soup, made from my brother's home-grown chestnuts! Just spring onions in a little butter, the (preboiled) chestnuts, milk, a stock cube, water, boiled together and then zapped in the blender, and served with a dash of cream and chopped spring onions to garnish.

:yahoo:

(This was from the ones he very kindly had peeled for me -- from the rest I think I'll try something in the dessert line.)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » May 25th, 2011, 2:03 am

It sounds delish! I could try something similar using bunya nuts, (which are like giant pine nuts and a cross between a chestnut and a potato.)
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk