What are you cooking for dinner?

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: What are you cooking for dinner?

Postby Sprocket » May 25th, 2011, 8:49 am

Last night, I practised what I preached by having reggae reggae pork belly slices. Yum! (Though it might be even better diluted 50% with cider or beer - must try that. It can be a bit overpowering used neat.)
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Serenjen » June 24th, 2011, 8:59 pm

I sent Mr NB for chips. We have no oven, or we do but it is sitting in the dining room. The kitchen is a building site.
It’s real easy to say you’re 100% against abortion when you’ll never have to make that decision.
Serenjen

Postby Lyn » June 24th, 2011, 10:11 pm

J brought fish and chips in tonight, I could only eat a little bit. Don't enjoy like I used to.
Lyn

Postby Robinson » August 17th, 2011, 1:07 am

I love to eat rice with chicken with some green salad. I am going to make chicken rice in my dinner. It is my favorite food and i love to eat in dinner.
Last edited by Robinson on August 20th, 2011, 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robinson

Postby Quino » August 18th, 2011, 6:17 am

Well i don't plan for a specific thing and remain on different diets because there are many diets and i usually go with rice, meat and also vegetables.
Quino

Postby flying finn » September 4th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Just made Karelian stew. It's good simple rustic food and really easy to make. Chop up a few carrots and a decent sized onion roughly and lay them on the bottom of a stewing pot. Then an equal amount of diced beef and pork and lay on top of the veg beef first. A few bayleaves and peppercorns and season liberally with salt an pepper. Put water in the stewing pot so that it covers the veg but not the meat. Bung it in the oven without a lid at 200 C for about an hour. After that stir it, add a bit more water, put the lid on and back in the oven at 150 C for about three hours. This is traditionally served with mashed potatoes. It's great with a cold beer and the traditional Finnish table drink Koskenkorva which is a Finnish vodka made from barley. As a side some rye bread and gravlax is also good.
flying finn

Postby Bev » September 5th, 2012, 1:42 am

So, you don't really braise the meat, in the way I'm accustomed. But, how does the meat turn out? Fork tender? Anyway, it does sound very good.
Bev

Postby flying finn » September 5th, 2012, 4:58 am

No brazing of the meat in a pan, that is if you want to do it authentically. The meat is browned in the first hour in the oven when it's without a lid. Yes, the meat turns out fork tender. The longer it's in the oven the better.

I love these kinds of foods. Simple and cheap but very tasty. I always try to use local ingredients as much as possible. Other local favourites of mine are cabbage soup, salmon soup.
flying finn

Postby Bev » September 5th, 2012, 12:21 pm

How do you make salmon soup?

I did make a seafood chowder over the weekend that came out really good. Shrimp and a little crab meat were the only two seafood ingredients, though.
Bev

Postby flying finn » September 5th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Bev wrote:How do you make salmon soup?

Peel and cut some potatoes, carrots and an onion put them all into the same pot with some peppercorns and a few bayleaves. Fill it up with water and boil. When they are almost ready turn the heat down put in the salmon cut into pieces and add cream or full fat milk and let is simmer until the salmon is cooked. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with some dill.
flying finn

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk