Drinks and Nibbles

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Drinks and Nibbles

Postby 2ndRateMind » May 9th, 2010, 5:34 pm

It's my birthday on June 9. I'm telling you that because I'd love a case of champers from each of you.

But, really, I'm planning a buffet supper for my brother and his (recent and exciting) fiancee.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions, recipes, and general comments? Remember, I'm on benefit, so can't do anything too extravagent, but I'm fairly handy in the kitchen, and capable of complex dishes if the result is worth the effort.

Thanks, all

Best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Re: Drinks and Nibbles

Postby Sweet Peace » May 9th, 2010, 10:53 pm

2RM, I put a recipe here for Harissa, a spicy tomato paste/dip.
There are so many different dips available in the shops these days but the home made version is usually much nicer. Do you make hommus?
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » May 11th, 2010, 3:00 pm

If you do, 2nd, I have a recipe I can share. But, can you get bottled keylime juice there?
Bev

Postby 2ndRateMind » May 11th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Mmm Love Hommus, and Harissa sounds good. And I bought a food processor recently, so I don't see why they both shouldn't figure in the celebrations.

As for keylime juice, is that different from ordinary lime juice? I don't think I've heard of it before.

Thanks, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby Bev » May 11th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Yes, it's quite different, a little milder and tropical in flavor.

Here's my recipe:

2 cups cooked chick peas (soak overnight, then cook the next day until tender (about an hour))
1/4 cup of the chick pea broth (same goes for canned chick peas, add a little of the broth inside.)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste which could mean a bit more)
2 tblspoon tahini (sesame paste)
2 tsp keylime juice (or lemon juice if you can't find keylime)
1 large garlic clove, peeled and diced

blend all in a food processor until smooth. The finished product should be very creamy.

Spread hummus into a wide bowl (soup bowl) with back of a tablespoon, drizzle extra-virgin olive oil on surface and sprinkle with paprika. (I also chop fresh curly parsley and sprinkle on top.)

This is also good served with an assortment of fresh cut veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, yellow squash (I know you guys call this something else), zucchini, and even fresh green beans or snap peas.
Bev

Postby 2ndRateMind » May 11th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Here's the menu I'm planning:

Bellinis to start (sparkling wine, peach, and a little sugar) - to go with crisps (chips) and marinated olives
Champagne Cocktails (champagne, brandy, and a sugar cube soaked in angostura bitters) - to go with a range of dips and crudites
Plain white pinot grigio - to go with crab bites, smoked salmon blinis and grilled tiger prawns
Bloody Marys (Vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, tabasco and worcester sauce) - to go with spicy meatballs and mini pizzas
Brandy Alexanders (brandy, creme de cacao and cream) - to go with chocolate bites
Manhattans (Whisky and sweet vermouth, with a little angostura) - to make sure no-one leaves sober!

Comments welcome!
2ndRateMind

Postby Sweet Peace » May 11th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Lol, I'd be under the table after that lot. Hope it all goes well. :D
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Liz » May 12th, 2010, 11:29 am

2ndRateMind wrote:Comments welcome!

Can I come? :twisted:

Actually, given I'm pregnant I probably should give it a miss.... this time. ;)
Liz

Postby Lyn » May 12th, 2010, 11:35 am

Well done Liz! Hee hee, betcha thought no-one would notice what you said on this thread. Many congratulations.
Lyn

Postby 2ndRateMind » May 12th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Ditto! Liz, congratulations! That's great news! Have lots of fun shopping for all the necessary preparations. And keep us all informed, won't you?

Best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Next

Return to Food talk