Drinks and Nibbles

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Drinks and Nibbles

Postby 2ndRateMind » May 31st, 2010, 10:20 am

Bev wrote::D Makes me wish I was just sitting around your kitchen so I could taste test the results. It sounds soooo good!

I've told you before, Bev. You're welcome to visit my humble hovel, any time you come over here.

Best, 2RM
2ndRateMind

Postby Bev » May 31st, 2010, 3:32 pm

Ahhh, I do wish. :)

On the "strong flour," here they are marketed as "bread flours" or "high-gluten flours" both of which become more elastic and rubbery the more you knead them.
Bev

Postby 2ndRateMind » June 4th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Here's the next experiment that worked:

Sweet and Fiery Squash dip:

600g 1lb 6oz butternut squash, split, deseeded, peeled and diced to 1cm cubes
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
1 2cm 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
2-4 red birdseye (small, thin) chillies, split, deseeded and chopped fine
juice of half a lime
some olive oil
salt and pepper

Use as many chillies as suits your taste.

Then you just put the butternut squash on a baking tray (seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper) in the oven (200c 400f gas 6 )for 20-30 minutes, 'til it's done (ie., pressure on a blunt spoon is enough to divide it)

Next, everything goes into a food processor, with an extra table-spoon of olive oil, and is blended til smooth.

Serve hot or cold with tortilla chips or sticks of washed raw celery.

Best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby 2ndRateMind » June 7th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Well, it's D-Day-2, and I'm beginning to get nervous. I've just got back from shopping for meat, fish and veg. There are some loose ends to tidy up, tomorrow. Will there be enough room in the fridge? Have I practised enough? (the more pricy dishes I'm leaving til the day, 'cos I can't afford to do them twice). Will my guests like what I plan, or will there be a lot of leftovers? Will they go down with food-poisoning the day after? Heaven knows how professional chefs cope, they having to perform on a daily basis. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby Sweet Peace » June 8th, 2010, 12:21 am

:good: 2RM - Well done. I'm sure it will go well. Makes me aware of how little I ever plan anything but you have inspired me.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby gwinnie » June 8th, 2010, 11:41 am

Most temptacious menu!

Have you decided on presentation? My dining table is a nice dark pine and I rarely cover it with a cloth. So for a rustic feel, I like to serve up whole breads on wooden cutting boards and sliced bread in wicker baskets. As it's warm, I'd put little squares of butter out in little cocottes with iced water to stop it running.
Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays. * Soren Kierkegaard
gwinnie

Postby 2ndRateMind » June 8th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Well, it's now D-Day - 1. Things are pretty much together. I still need to buy Basil leaves, mango chutney (My bro loves mango chutney, but I don't know if he'll like my dips) and cashew nuts.

I've done the hummous, (2 cans of chick peas, 3 tbs light tahini paste, juice of 2 lemons, 3 cloves of garlic). I'll decorate it a la Bev tomorrow. I've marinated the olives, in EVO, white wine vinegar, garlic, dried oregano and parsley. They'll get fresh basil tomorrow.

As for decoration: wouldn't I just love a dining table! Unfortunately, it wont fit. My flat has just about enough room for me, my desk and computer, my bed, and a few kitchen-type white goods. But, I'm happy here, and if people expect more of me than that, it's their problem, not mine. However, I do have matching serving dishes, mainly cos they're all plain white. Simplicity, and the emphasis on the food, is my excuse. And that's the thinking behind the finger menu - it's sufficiently informal to fit in with sitting around on the floor on cushions, and bean-bags, and such. I'm such a sixties child!

Wish me luck - tomorrow will be a busy day!

Best wishes, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby gwinnie » June 8th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Good luck, happy birthday and enjoy, 2RM. :mrgreen:
Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays. * Soren Kierkegaard
gwinnie

Postby Sweet Peace » June 9th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Happy Birthday 2RM - I hope it's a doozy. :clap:
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby GregB » June 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm

My flat has just about enough room for me, my desk and computer, my bed, and a few kitchen-type white goods. But, I'm happy here

Well, at least you can cook dinner and have a crap at the same time... :thumbsup:
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk