Drinks and Nibbles

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Drinks and Nibbles

Postby 2ndRateMind » June 11th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Well, thanks for all your good wishes, everyone that sent them. I thought I'd better report back on D-Day plus 2.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy! I spent all day cooking, but still hadn't managed to do everything I wanted. I think I was a little over-ambitious, given the size of the kitchen and space in the fridge. We missed out the fish course entirely, because, although I planned to do a bit of cooking while guests were here, when it came down to it, I'd have been in the kitchen full-time, with no opportunity to natter.

As for everything else; well, I don't think anyone left hungry, or overly the worse for wear. There was plenty left over, which I've been nibbling yesterday and today. And, I have all that smoked salmon, crab and such to look forward to, over the next couple of days. In fact, I don't think I will need to shop again for about a week.

Next time (if there is a next time!), I think I'll concentrate on doing fewer dishes, but taking more time over them.

All the best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby GregB » June 11th, 2010, 12:28 pm

And all that planned booze...?
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby 2ndRateMind » June 11th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Well, the Manhattans came off the menu, due to budget constraints. But between the three of us, we knocked back 2 bottles of pinot grigio, a bottle of sparkling chardonnay, a bottle of NV champers, and made a dent in the brandy. So, I still have some brandy and some vodka left. I think we put up a good fight, all told. Oh yes, and after carefully remembering to freeze up some ice, I entirely forgot to put out the ice bucket, so the wine was all a bit warm towards the end of the bottles. It didn't even cross my mind until the evening was pretty much over.

Best, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby flying finn » January 5th, 2013, 12:10 am

I've officially fallen in love with martinis, both the classic martini and the vodka martini. I'm currently trying to find a substitute for kina lillet (which is no longer made and the modern lillet blanc is not the same) so I can make a vesper martini.
flying finn

Postby Sprocket » January 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

I tried a new cocktail recently. It's called the 'Liberal Democrat', because it has absolutley no effect whatsoever.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » January 6th, 2013, 11:43 am

Sprocket wrote:I tried a new cocktail recently. It's called the 'Liberal Democrat', because it has absolutley no effect whatsoever.

Yeah, I had a pint of clegg bitter the other day - same problem... :blink:

FF,
There's a version here called Kina San Clemente which you might want to investigate (eg. for availability, etc.) Though perhaps not exactly the same as the original which inspired the Bond cocktail, I imagine the ingredients are fairly similar. Incidentally, the name 'Kina' is derived from one of the staple ingredients, quinine.
http://www.aporvino.com/comprar_vino//i ... C00229.gif
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby flying finn » January 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Cheers, I'll look into it.
flying finn

Postby Bev » January 7th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Sprocket wrote:I tried a new cocktail recently. It's called the 'Liberal Democrat', because it has absolutley no effect whatsoever.

:D

I've only ever had a martini once in my life. It was a vodka martini, and I remember it was a smoother drink than I anticipated it to be. My oldest son remarked he had always thought martinis would taste like jet fuel.

For Christmas, I bought Chris (the oldest, who is now a fan of vodka) a bottle of Ultimat Vodka. It's a mix of wheat, rye, and potato. While visiting him recently, he had ordered a vodka tonic with this particular brand. I tasted it and was surprised how smooth and clean it was. He was also impressed. He was happy with his gift too. :D
Bev

Postby GregB » January 7th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Unless a martini is very dry (ie. with a higher proportion of spirit, be it gin or vodka), it won't have that rasping effect that most spirits have as the dominant element, vermouth, is a smooth drink (it's basically wine.)

I suspect you may have misunderstood Steve's reference to a 'Liberal Democrat' cocktail, Bev. It's nothing to do with American politics but rather refers to the British Liberal Democrat Party, the minor member of the current British government coalition along with the Conservative Party. (My own gag names the party leader, Nick Clegg, with a play on the word 'keg'.)
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Bev » January 7th, 2013, 6:19 pm

GregB wrote:I suspect you may have misunderstood Steve's reference to a 'Liberal Democrat' cocktail, Bev. It's nothing to do with American politics but rather refers to the British Liberal Democrat Party, the minor member of the current British government coalition along with the Conservative Party. (My own gag names the party leader, Nick Clegg, with a play on the word 'keg'.)

I wasn't actually thinking UK or USA, but the line itself struck me as very funny.
Bev

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk