Sauerkraut

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby Bev » July 5th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Sprocket wrote:Ah yes - as in Angostura Bitters. I bought a bottle of that once, out of curiosity. Vile stuff, I thought, but each to their own.

A wonderful tiny ingredient in a perfectly made Manhattan! :D

On the sk, Sprocket, I had two concerns. :? I couldn't tell if the pottery is allowed direct contact to the fermenting batch, but if so, I would think concerns about lead leaching from the pottery into the sk would be something to consider. Also, I would use glass, not plastic. Plastic is a petroleum-based product, and it tends to leach into foods (especially after long periods, or in extreme temperatures) phytoestrogens, which are suspect in the rise in hormonal-based cancers. :shock:

(Yes, my family gets aggravated with me too, until, that is, they hear reports of such all over the latest news. :D )

Besides that, you could bury it in steel tins for a longer period and end up with Kimchee! I actually tasted some in a Korean grocery recently, and it was strong but interestingly not so bad.
Bev

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby Sprocket » July 6th, 2012, 11:51 am

I don't like using plastic if I can help it, but this is food-grade plastic - it previously contained honey - so it should be safe.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Previous

Return to Food talk