Home-grown meals

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Home-grown meals

Postby Sprocket » July 4th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I've just had my first completely home-grown meal of the year: new potatoes, cabbage, and peas. The peas are just starting to become ready, so I'll be picking them daily probably for a while. It was delicious, of course, especially the peas.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Home-grown meals

Postby 2ndRateMind » July 4th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Grats!
2ndRateMind

Postby Sprocket » July 4th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Nks!
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Bev » July 4th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Nothing beats fresh! I would love to eat cabbage right from the garden. Congrats on your first fruits there! :clapping:
Bev

Postby different glory » July 5th, 2012, 12:36 am

Brilliant!!! New potatoes and freshly-picked peas (cabbage -- mmmm.. with butter and freshly-ground black pepper!). Well done, Sprocket! (if we had a bit of notice, we could all have an eat-what-you-grow day, though for me right now it would be cumquats and aramanth :grin: )
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Bev » July 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I do have sweet peppers growing in the herb garden for the second year now. I'm also growing lemon grass, galangal, ginger, and turmeric this years in the herb garden. The future Thai dishes won't be all home-grown, but the hardest ingredients to find will be. :D
Bev

Postby 2ndRateMind » July 5th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Bev wrote:I do have sweet peppers growing in the herb garden for the second year now. I'm also growing lemon grass, galangal, ginger, and turmeric this years in the herb garden. The future Thai dishes won't be all home-grown, but the hardest ingredients to find will be. :D

Oh boy! Sounds delicious! Can I come and stay in the harvest season?

Love, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Postby Bev » July 5th, 2012, 4:22 pm

:D From what I've read, the root can be harvested in autumn, early winter. Perfect time to be in Florida, to be sure. The root is very expensive if found fresh at the oriental groceries. Luckily, Florida is one of the places where one can most easily grow large quantities of the plant.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » July 6th, 2012, 3:55 am

We grow turmeric and sell it to the local organic shop who add it to their carrot juices. It is good medicine, said to help reduce inflammation and also eats away the plaque that causes Alzheimer's.
I'm away visiting my parents, but this is the season when we drink mandarin juice from our own fruit. (I took a metal drink bottle full on my journey yesterday but can't counted on it spraying me all over when I opened it on the plane. :o )
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Return to Food talk