Gooseberry jam and sauerkraut

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Gooseberry jam and sauerkraut

Postby Sprocket » August 1st, 2012, 8:45 am

That's not a recommended food combination, just what I made yesterday.
I picked my gooseberries last week, and froze them until I could do something with them. Yesterday, I defrosted them in the microwave and weighed them - I had exactly 2 lbs, which was handy. Added 2 lbs sugar and a bit of water, and boiled them until my cooking thermometer told me that they'd reached jam-stting heat, then put them in three small Kilner jars (Mason jars, as I believe Americans call them). Didn't quite fill the third, so that's the one I'm using first. I had some this morning on toast, and it was excellent. It certainly set well: it's quite stiff.
I decided that the Sauerkraut had finished fermenting, so I sterilised a large Kilner jar in the oven, and brought it to the boil, then put it in the jar. I've had some of that as well, for the first time ever: it was pleasant, but surprisingly bland. From the name, I'd expected it to be sour. One of my books on preserving your own produce says that bottling the way I did, to make it keep as long as possible, tends to reduce the sourness, so that's no doubt the explanation. You can just start eating it without heating it and bottling it first, but in that case you have to keep it in the fridge and use it up fairly quickly.
Some of my cabbages are about ready on the allotment, so I'll harvest one today. Might make some of it into more sk, because it's huge. The pumpkins are also nearly ripe. (This should be on the gardening thread really.)
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Re: Gooseberry jam and sauerkraut

Postby Bev » August 1st, 2012, 3:21 pm

Interesting that a particular way of fermenting cabbage makes it less sour. I would think it very good, especially if you cook it with bacon. We often rinse the sour out of it before cooking it with bacon.

Good job, Sprocket!
Bev

Return to Food talk