Yoghurt

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Yoghurt

Postby Bev » August 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Have any of you made your own yoghurt? I've been reading up on it, seeing a few youtubes on it, and am seriously considering making my own. My only issue is how to find the perfect place where I can incubate the yoghurt at 110ยบ F for 8-12 hours.

Anyway, I'm considering it after having a hard time finding a particular brand of Greek yoghurt made in Australia called "Wallaby" Greek Yoghurt. It's smooth, creamy, and not tart (and it's made from 2% organic milk--so lower in fat than some that are as much as 10% milk fat.) It's the only yoghurt I enjoy plain (or made into tzatziki or french-onion dip for veggies and chips.)

My plan is to make my own from my organic milk using the Wallaby yoghurt as my starter. And, I would love any input from others who have tried.
Bev

Re: Yoghurt

Postby Bev » August 9th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Just to report, my first attempt at making yoghurt has been a success. I strained it further to get Greek Yoghurt, and it tastes light and creamy like the Wallaby brand.
Bev

Postby Sprocket » August 9th, 2012, 6:51 pm

I've made it a few times. The end result has always tasted ok, but been rather sloppy.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Bev » August 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Mine would have been too, Sprocket. Goopy would be how I would describe it. Straining it made it thicker and creamier. Out of four cups milk, I ended up with a two pints of whey and a little over a cup of Greek yoghurt. I'm not sure if it was using the Wallaby Greek yoghurt as a starter is the reason, but it has a very mild taste with an aftertaste that reminds you more of cream cheese than yoghurt. I really love it, especially for savory recipes like Tzatziki or a french onion dip for veggies.

On the cost, though, I'm saving about half. So, it's still expensive.
Bev

Return to Food talk