Glycemic Index

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Glycemic Index

Postby Bev » August 23rd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Does anyone else follow the glycemic index of a food? A few locals here have reported losing weight by sticking mainly to low-glycemic-index foods.

The trouble is finding a good list of them. I've found sites that list maple syrup, orange juice, pineapple juice on the low list.
Bev

Re: Glycemic Index

Postby Lyn » August 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

Not me but I googled and came up with this:
http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

There are so many diets out there, going in and out of fashion. I know if I followed a strict diet I would spend all my time thinking about food and end up eating more!
Lyn

Postby Bev » August 23rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

That's a good list, Vix. Thanks. I'm puzzled about some things on the medium list, like pineapple. Anyway, from what I understand, someone has figured out that by eating foods in combination based on their glycemic index, one will lose weight rather than gain. Apparently, this can include pretty much all foods, including sweets like cakes and ice cream. The combination is the key and combining with proteins.

I thought I might try it, as I could lose about ten pounds. I've never dieted, so I like the idea of being able to eat foods I already eat, just combining them differently.
Bev

Postby Lyn » August 29th, 2012, 5:40 pm

You will lose weight if you just cut down quantities Bev. Use a smaller plate. Things like cakes should only be occasional treats. This is just another fad diet.
Lyn

Postby Bev » August 29th, 2012, 9:34 pm

You're partly right, and definitely right about the cakes. :D My problem has never been sweets, honestly. I'm a savory person, so today I did a very bad thing and bought kettle chips (crisps, you call them), and justified eating them as lunch because I dipped them in an onion dip made with my homemade yoghurt instead of sour cream. :oops:

Anyway, there is something to how the body uses more calories to process whole grains and certain foods (cruciferous veggies, as opposed to sweeter ones like beets and carrots.) If you eat protein at the same time you eat the whole food (grain or veggie), you literally burn more calories just in the digestion process. Protein does make you less hungry later than simple carbs. And complex carbs take longer to process than simple carbs.

The problem is, the simple carbs are the comfort foods. The spike they give us also create pleasure. So, that's probably the biggest hurdle to over come. This newer diet suggests eating the cake, but making sure you do so right after a meal where you've had a good balance of protein and complex carbs.

But, the quantities are important, I'm sure. My brother now reports he's lost 40 lbs, which he needed to. His blood pressure, cholesterol, and especially his sugar have also gone down, so that tells me there really is something to this one.
Bev

Postby Lyn » August 31st, 2012, 8:45 am

We all have different metabolism Bev. I know I don't process carbs well - bread, pastry, cake, pasta etc, anything with wheat. I couldn't eat anything like that more than once a week. With others it is sugars or crisps or fat. Beer is fattening too. I well understand comfort eating but my digestive system stops me from overdoing it.
It's funny but I always imagined you to be very skinny Bev.
Just try cutting down your comfort foods, a bit less each week until you no longer fancy them. It does happen.
Lyn

Postby Bev » August 31st, 2012, 2:00 pm

You're right about metabolism. I've been very thin, too thin really, most of my life. The best thing about entering my 30s was being able to keep weight on for the first time in my life. But, now, as I near sixty, I'm about ten pounds overweight. I could lose fifteen to twenty and still not be considered underweight.

On a medical tv show here called Dr. Oz, he talked about something called "white bean extract" that one consumes during high-carb meals. It keeps the body from absorbing the glucose in the carbs. He said more and more people are using it to lose weight, as it works similar to someone cutting the calories on the largest meal of the day.

I might try that. :)
Bev

Return to Food talk