Raspberry jam

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Raspberry jam

Postby Sprocket » November 27th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Made this year's batch at the weekend, from all the razzies I picked from my canes over the last few months and froze, both 'All Gold' (yellow) and 'Autumn Bliss' (red). Last year, I followed the advice of most of the recipes, and used equal weights of fruit and sugar. The result was not bad, but a bit too sweet for my taste. This year, I found a recipe in a jam-making booklet which came free with 'Grow Your Own' mag. which recommended using only half as much sugar as fruit by weight, but warned that, though delicious, the result is slop[pier thasn most jams, and needs using quickly once the jar is opened. I decided to compromise, and use three-quarters as much sugar as fruit. The fruit came to about four and a half pounds (I can't now remember the exact weight), and the jam-making sugar I'd bought (which has added pectin to help with setting) came in 1 kg bags, and 1kg is 2lbs 3oz, near enough, so I added the contents of one bag, and half the contents (estimated) of the other. I put it, after boiling it to setting point, in eight small kilner jars and one larger one. The result is FANTASTIC! though I say so myself - well set, a beautiful, clear, deep crimson, and the taste is wonderful - sweet enough but not too sweet, with a hint of tartnerss, and the raspberry flavour coming through strongly, not drowned out by excessive sweetness. So, that's how to make fantastic razzy jam, folks!
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Re: Raspberry jam

Postby Sweet Peace » November 28th, 2012, 1:36 am

Well done, Sprocks! I won't touch commercial jams, yucky taste of sugar and chemicals!, but am able to buy semi-home made ones, in particular rosella, quince, fig, blueberries etc. I used to made a nice jam from tamarillos and Himalayan raspberries, and didn't like to add the full equal quantity of sugar - for one thing, too sweet and for another I steer clear of sugar mostly. If it's runny it's good on muesli or pancakes, and if it won't keep as long due to not having as much sugar then I keep it in the fridge.
At the moment we have jaboticabas fruiting, maybe I should look up recipes for them but we are snowed under with family dramas lately.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=jabo ... 24&bih=672
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » November 29th, 2012, 7:49 pm

The raspberry jam sounds delicious, Sprocket. Both your and SP's recipe idea has me wanting to try making jam with at least store-bought fruit as I have no non-citrus fruit growing here. It's hard to find good, organic, jams and jellies (and syrups!) But organic fruits are more and more available here.

How I would love to taste your jam, SP. I've never heard of jaboticabas before.
Bev

Postby different glory » November 30th, 2012, 3:18 am

Your jam sounds wonderful, Sprocket!! Think of us next time you have scones and raspberry jam!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sprocket » November 30th, 2012, 9:08 am

Glad you think so!
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Return to Food talk