Home made sweets

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Home made sweets

Postby Sweet Peace » November 28th, 2012, 1:50 am

Here is an old family favourite - Russian Toffee
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar.

Method
- Place sugar, syrup, butter, water and condensed milk in pan, dissolve slowly (the sugar should all dissolved before it reaches boiling point).
- Boil steadily for 20 minutes, stirring frequently (if ready, the mixture becomes firm if poured into cold water).
- Pour when almost cold.
- Cut and wrap in wax paper.

( I don't know how this recipe translates to other countries - do you have condensed milk in 395 g tins? :) I guess you know golden syrup? )
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Re: Home made sweets

Postby Sprocket » November 28th, 2012, 9:23 am

Sounds yummy, but I haven't seen condensed milk for decades. However, that may be because i wasn't looking for it. I might try that recipe, if C.M. still exists.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Liz » November 28th, 2012, 11:43 am

Condensed milk still exists. I used it in my Easiest Chocolate Fudge in the World recipe:

1 tin condensed milk
300g of 70%+ dark chocolate.

Melt chocolate in the microwave and mix with the condensed milk. Pour into a flat tin (I line the tin with cling film first) and put in the fridge. Next day, cut up into small squares and eat the lot. :mrgreen:
Liz

Postby Bev » November 28th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Your recipe sounds like some I've seen for caramel. Does it come out hard or chewy? If hard, I'll bet one could use it to also make peanut brittle. I haven't had that in years. It was a favorite Christmas sweet when I was a kid, I remember.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » November 29th, 2012, 2:41 am

The batch I made today using half quantities was a bit undercooked and chewy; it might harden in the fridge if it makes it that far. :grin: It was hard to stir it when it barely covered the bottom of the pan, and yet it has to be stirred almost constantly so that it doesn't burn. It's more of a caramel than toffee like the peanut brittle I know but would be good with nuts added -I might use some of our home grown pecans next time.
Liz, that fudge sounds great!
I'll make some of this Russian toffee for a school fete on Saturday. I fancy delving further into home made sweets and have always liked the idea of herbal lozenges and syrups.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby different glory » November 30th, 2012, 3:16 am

Yum, yum, for anything made with condensed milk!

I have two recipes -- one for Easy-Easy Microwave Fudge, and one for Mucho Disgusto Biscuits, which makes about five dozen, but uses a pound of butter!!! (hence the name).
I'll be back and post them later today. :)
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Liz » November 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm

I remember Sally was very good at making her own sweets: fudge, truffles, turkish delight etc.
Liz

Postby Bev » November 30th, 2012, 11:06 pm

different glory wrote:Yum, yum, for anything made with condensed milk!

:good:

I have a keylime pie recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk that is soooooo good! The condensed milk smoothes out the bite of the keylime wonderfully.
Bev

Postby Penny » November 21st, 2013, 8:20 pm

Condensed milk is available from several makers. Nestle, and others - there's one called Kate's Kitchen in the Co-op. I have used it for a version of Coconut Ice - can't remember the exact quantities, but...stir desiccated coconut in to the milk until no more will go in, and it's very stiff. Split into two portions and stir pink colouring into one half. Then press into a lined swiss roll tin, with the white on top and leave to dry a bit before cutting into squares. If I find the recipe I'll adjust it. You can use the same mixture for Coconut Kisses. Shape into pyramids, place on rice paper, and cook at a temperature I can't remember until tinged with brown.

Sorry not to be more helpful!
Penny

Postby Sprocket » November 21st, 2013, 10:14 pm

Welcome back!
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Next

Return to Food talk