Food Processor Recipes

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Food Processor Recipes

Postby Sweet Peace » January 9th, 2013, 2:58 am

I recently bought a food processor and am having a tasty time making dips and coconut-rolled fruit and nut balls (which are known locally as Hobbit Balls). I have a bit to learn yet about even basics such as how to get sunflower seeds and nuts to grind down smoothly - how much should I put in at a time, how long can I safely run the food processor at a time. If I smell it heating have I already done damage?
Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with different combinations and here's today's Dip of the Day, I guess it could be called -

Vegan Tomato Pesto

1 small handful of pine nuts
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 handful of basil
1 tomato
1 tbsp oil (I used macadamia)
2 tbsp nut butter (macadamia again)
Juice of 1 lime

I tried to bring the pine nuts first but the blade just swept over them, so I added the added the onion and garlic for a minute or so, then the other ingredients for another minute or two.
It turned out sloppier than A normal dip due to the tomato. I could have added crumbled bread or ?? to thicken it.
Very pleased with the result. Super yummy!
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Re: Food Processor Recipes

Postby Bev » January 11th, 2013, 1:29 am

Ooooh! Lovely! Your first recipe definitely interests me, but I will likely use key lime and perhaps a different nut in the recipe.

My first thought is maybe we shouldn't tax the blender, and think in terms of a pesto? :D
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » January 12th, 2013, 12:29 am

Bev wrote:My first thought is maybe we shouldn't tax the blender, and think in terms of a pesto?

You mean a mortar and pestle?
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » January 12th, 2013, 12:44 am

Actually, I meant accept the chunky bits as part of the recipe. :D When I make pesto, it always has quite a bit of texture (little bits of nut still part of it.)
Bev

Postby Sprocket » January 12th, 2013, 9:17 am

Sweet Peace wrote:
Bev wrote:My first thought is maybe we shouldn't tax the blender, and think in terms of a pesto?

Interesting thought - I wonder if the words 'pesto' and 'pestle' are etymologically related, pesto being traditionally prepared with a pestle?
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Bev » January 12th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Sweet Peace wrote:

Interesting thought - I wonder if the words 'pesto' and 'pestle' are etymologically related, pesto being traditionally prepared with a pestle?

I looked it up, and yes, you're right. Pesto originated from the Latin word "pestare," which means "to pound" or "to crush."
Bev

Return to Food talk