Indian Curries

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Indian Curries

Postby Bev » February 22nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

Yesterday, I tried my hand for the first time at Indian cuisine, Chicken Tikka Masala to be specific. It turned out pretty good for a first try, but I wondered if others here have favorite curry recipes.

One thing I noticed when watching youtube videos on how to make this or that masala, the recipe almost always calls for sizzling whole cumin seeds in hot oil before adding various ingredients (usually onion, garlic, ginger, tomato and select spices.)

The dish I made was too spicy (too much red chili powder) but this cold that started yesterday morning with sore throat and all the nasally stuff that goes with it seems to better today. :D
Bev

Re: Indian Curries

Postby GregB » February 22nd, 2013, 4:52 pm

The dish I made was too spicy (too much red chili powder) but this cold that started yesterday morning with sore throat and all the nasally stuff that goes with it seems to better today.

:lol:
Nothing better than cauterising a sore throat! (Flamethrowers tend to exaggerate the job... :? )
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Bev » February 22nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

:D

Let's hope it does the trick. I was thinking maybe of making a gargling solution using red chili. It just might turn me into a dragon lady, as yesterday, I complained at one point during the meal I just might burst into flames right at the table. Phew! Not used to such spicy hot food. But, there's something about it afterwards that attracts you back to trying again.
Bev

Postby Bev » February 22nd, 2013, 5:06 pm

I forgot to mention, another recipe I've commonly run across incorporates a paste made out of soaked cashew nuts. I made the paste and kept aside some of the soaked nuts (which are larger and tender.) To the recipe I made yesterday, I added some of the paste and nuts, which toned down the heat just enough.

The paste tastes very good on its own, so I experimented with a kind of light desserty kind of thing adding some of the soaked cashews to the paste and mixing in a pinch of garam masala and a sprinkling of cinnamon powder. Not sure if others would like it, but I sure did. It was almost like eating ice cream without the cold.
Bev

Postby flying finn » February 22nd, 2013, 6:07 pm

I do like a ruby. The hotter the better is my motto. Here's the recepie for my curries:

Fry some shallots in lots of oil. Add some chopped ginger, lots of cayenne pepper, tumeric and garam masala and allow to fry off in the oil. Add large chunks of chicken breast and cover them in the spice but do not seal the meat. Add immediately chopped tomatoes then simmer, the longer the better. Garnish with fresh corriander (an essential in any curry, in my opinion). Serve with rice, preferably pilau rice, and naan bread.
flying finn

Postby Sprocket » February 22nd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Bev wrote:Yesterday, I tried my hand for the first time at Indian cuisine, Chicken Tikka Masala to be specific.

Anglo-Indian, to be precise: it was invented by Indian restaurateurs in this country. We may not have much of a native cuisine, but we're great at adopting and adapting foreign dishes. Currys generally are hugely popular over here, with C.T.M. being invented here, and we're so fond of Spaghetti Bolognese that we've given it the affectionate nickname 'spag bol' (or, in my house when the brats were small, 'splog blog').
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Palaeologus » February 22nd, 2013, 6:29 pm

I like a lamb jalfrezi. I also love getting a cardamon pod by accident, and it going off in my mouth with the rice.

Chicken tikka masala is, as Sprock notes, a Birmingham dish! It's Madame's fave.

in my late teens in the 1970's, when the licensing laws were much stricter than today and you couldn't get a drink after 11 pm (was it? "Time gentlemen please!!!!") unless the place was a restaurant, every weekend we used to sway out of the pub and up to the "Injun" in order to continue swilling Tennants Lager in absurd volumes, right up until midnight. You had to buy food, so it was one portion of pakora between six, and a chapati each. They used to get seriously fed up with us, constantly badgering us to order something else. The last resort was coffee. To get the full effect of this you need to imagine the accent pitched half-way between Glasgow and Hyderabad.

"All right. Who fuh coffey? You fuh coffey? All fuhcoffey?"
Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.
- St Gregory of Nyssa
Palaeologus

Postby Sprocket » February 22nd, 2013, 6:38 pm

Anyone ever tried a Chicken Dhal (or Phal, as I think it's sometimes spelled)? Heat-wise, it knocks Vindaloo into a cocked hat. Next day is just as bad: you get a nasty case of the Johnny Cashes (i.e. a burning ring of fire).
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Bev » February 22nd, 2013, 7:05 pm

:lol:

I've been looking at the more creamy curries that involve coconut, cream, and/ or cashew pastes. I like the spice flavors without a lot of the heat. But, surely I'm a beginner, and I can see where the heat can grow on you.

Thanks for the recipe, FF. Yours is very simple. I like that.
Bev

Postby flying finn » February 22nd, 2013, 7:33 pm

Sprocket wrote:Anyone ever tried a Chicken Dhal (or Phal, as I think it's sometimes spelled)? Heat-wise, it knocks Vindaloo into a cocked hat. Next day is just as bad: you get a nasty case of the Johnny Cashes (i.e. a burning ring of fire).

I can't remember but then most of the time I've spent in curry houses has been pissed. I've had Tindaloo but my favourite is Vindaloo. In fact, I remember one night having two Tindaloos on the trot. One of my mates said he'd pay for another curry if I ate a whole spoon full of lime pickle, so I ate it and had another curry. We used to call hot curries ring stingers.
flying finn

Next

Return to Food talk