Food and drink

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Food and drink

Postby Pondero » May 20th, 2013, 9:59 am

Yesterday, I posted something about wine snobbery under the wrong heading which I have now deleted, as this morning I realized that Indian Curry had nothing to do with it, even as an accompanying drink to Lindeman wine , as I was eating steak at the time.

It used to be that you could tell it was a cheap wine if it had a metal top instead of the traditional cork (or cork substitute) but no longer is that true. I enjoyed the Shiraz from Australia last night. The wife says it came here as a gift, but she has seen it in the LCBO for about $14 a 750 ml. bottle. She added, that in the states (meaning SW Florida) you can buy the same wine at Sams Club much cheaper. Now, why is that, one wonders?
We have here the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, a government monopoly on the sale of hard spirits, and nearly all wines except locally produced Canadian wines. I don't object to this as it provides us with a wonderful selection, and is ( Sun News says) the biggest wine and liquor importer in all of Canada.
Sun News is opposed to this LCBO and wants wine and the hard stuff to be sold in mom and pop stores. I think the selection we now have would disappear if that were the case.
Right now the government of Ontario receives lots of tax revenue fro the sale of spirits, taxes that save the moderate or non drinking Ontario resident money.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Re: Food and drink

Postby Pondero » May 20th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Greetings, fellow earthlings :grin:
It is as dead as the Dodo bird on this website at present. I am going out to barbecue two home made burgers in a few minutes. The wife is preparing a salad. Not, exactly a gourmet meal, but with what is left of yesterday's wine it will be very nice. I was outside on the patio most of today, and put up a table with rotating umbrella to keep the hot sun away, while drinking beer number 23 out of a case of 24. Which, if your arithmetic is good, you will know that there is only one left ;) :yahoo: :grin:
The beer has been in the basement many months...believe me I couldn't finish a case of 24 over the long weekend, even if I invited in the neighbour's next door or opposite. I see one of my neighbours two houses down on Edenbridge Drive, has already started barbecuing something.

( I happened to bring in washed clothes on the line and put them away, and read a chapter of a book about statistics, and on my calculator find the correlation coefficient,of data using linear regression. And read parts of two other books too.
None of which has to do with food and drink). :shock:
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Re: Food and drink

Postby Pondero » December 1st, 2013, 12:56 pm

PHILADELPHIA Dark Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake.
Prep Time: 35 min |Total Time: 6 hours( Inc.refrigerating) |Makes: 16 servings.

1.5 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs.
3 Tbsp.sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted (my wife prefers butter)
4 pkg. ( 8 oz.each) PHILADELPHIA Cream cheese,softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp.vanilla
4 eggs
1 tub (8 oz).COOL WHIP Whipped Topping (Do not thaw.)
6 oz BAKER'S Bittersweet Chocolate
1 cup fresh raspberries

HEAT oven to 325 degrees F.
MIX graham crumbs. 3 Tbsp. sugar and butter: press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan.
BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar and vanilla with mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each just until blended. Pour over crust.
BAKE 55 min, or until center is almost set. Run knife around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim.
Refrigerate cheesecake 4 hours.
MICROWAVE COOL WHIP and chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 to 2.5 minutes. or until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after each minute. (the wife says make sure the chocolate is very smooth).
Cool 15 min.; slowly pour over cheesecake. Garnish with raspberries.

When my wife cooked this dessert Friday, we ate it at my daughter's home yesterday. Absolutely delicious :thumbsup:

EDIT: This has been checked for accuracy, There are no typo or other errors therein.
Pondero

Return to Food talk